Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Brand vs. generic for Sinemet, which do you take?

• Brand vs. generic for Sinemet, which do you take?

Posted by Deleted User on June 4, 2019 at 8:33 am

I was on brand name Sinemet since I got very nauseous on the generic.  Now that it virtually impossible for me to find brand Sinemet (When I called Merck, they confirmed this shortage) I must go back to generic carbidopa/levodopa (C/L).  I emailed the APDA (American PD Association about my situation and here was their response:

“Many companies make generic carbidopa/levodopa (C/L). Generic and brand are meant to be identical and generic must be approved by the FDA. However, the FDA does allow up to a 20% difference in absorption of the medication between brand and the generic. The inactive ingredients in the pill (the other compounds that hold the pill together and are not the active drug) can also be different. Because of this variability, each of the generics can be as different from each other as Merck’s Sinemet was from the generic that you tried. The companies that make generic carbidopa/levodopa include: Actavis, Apotek, Mayne, Mylan, and Sun. So, I would go back to the pharmacy at which you received the generic C/L that made you ill and find out which manufacturer made it. Then go to a different pharmacy and try a different company’s generic.”

Are you on a generic drug?  Have you noticed any ineffectivemess on your symptoms or unusual or new side effects?

replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.