Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Are you aware of brand name Sinemet drug shortage?

• Are you aware of brand name Sinemet drug shortage?

Posted by Deleted User on June 20, 2019 at 7:57 am

I cannot find any drug store in Long Island that sells brand name Sinemet, made by Merck.  In May, I tried to refill and pharmacy said it was out of stock and not orderable.  I have since called Merck and they told me to try generic.  Generic does not help my symptoms.  There is no projected availability date. Are you on brand name Sinemet?  Have you tried generics?

NOTE: this is not the first time for a Sinemet shortage.

In 2010, there was a Sinemet® shortage in the UK and CBS news reported the following:

On 7/6/2010: Merck’s Silence Over Parkinson’s Drug Shortage Is Unfair and Unacceptable

On 7/26/2010: Merck Misses Deadline to Explain Parkinson’s Drug Shortage and Conspiracy Theories Flourish

On 10/19/2010: Drug Shortage Has Parkinson’s Patients in a Panic — and No One Can Explain It

The National Parkinson’s Foundation (NPF) created a document that assessed the 2010/2011 Sinemet® shortage and made some recommendations to Merck.  As one of the lessons to be learned from the 2010/2011 Sinemet® outage, NPF suggested that Merck provide more broadly effective communications with respect to outages

In his response to the National Parkinson Foundation’s assessment, a letter written on 5/22/2012 by Michael Rosenblatt, M.D ,Chief Medical Officer of Merck & Co., Inc. specifically stated: “Chief among the lessons learned for Merck is the need for clearer, more timely communications to organizations such as yours that can help reach patients and caregivers to clarify the situation in an effective manner.”

replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.