Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Were you sctive in sports prior to PD onset?

• Were you sctive in sports prior to PD onset?

Posted by Deleted User on August 7, 2018 at 9:05 am

I was very active athletically prior to my PD diagnosis. I trained as a dancer for over 30  years. In addition, I was a cyclist, racewalker and trained with weights. I believe my athletic background has been both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing, because I firmly believe I have developed some muscle memory that has helped me with my balance and stamina.  A curse because I realize how much I have lost.

If you were physically active prior to diagnosis,  do you think that has helped you in dealing with your PD symptoms?

Pauline Sciacca replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lloyd

July 1, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Absolutely! Walked-fast walked, constantly on the go. I never sat. It’s important to not forget I am not my disease. I’m restarting my exercise on the treadmill and indoor bike.

• Lloyd

July 1, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Absolutely! Walked-fast walked, constantly on the go. I never sat. It’s important to not forget I am not my disease. I’m restarting my exercise on the treadmill and indoor bike.

• Pauline Sciacca

July 4, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Yep, was a dancer for so many years and taught all performing arts dance styles 6 days a week until I sold my business 2020. Did this up to having a fall that required orthopaedic surgery on my R shoulder, (went really well and works as well as before) but got diagnosed 2 months after 4 hour surgery on it. No sign of Parkinson’s prior to this as far as I know, but am now unsteady re balance at times, and right arm and hand shake on and off.