• Posted by Deleted User on July 30, 2019 at 7:51 am

Although not a professional, I trained as a dancer for over 30 years. In addition, for many years I was a cyclist, racewalker and trained with weights. I believe my athletic background has been both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing, because I firmly believe I have developed some muscle memory that has helped me with my balance and stamina.  A curse because I realize how much I have lost.

Were you an athlete before PD came into your life?  If so, do you think this has helped you battle this disease?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • bob-hodgson

July 30, 2019 at 4:28 pm

I have been very active for most of my life and I believe that has helped me with slowing down the progression of my PD. I have stopped surfing and snowboarding but have continued with my other exercises which consist of running, elliptical and weight training. It is easier for me to run than walk which I attribute to muscle memory.

It’s a life changing diagnosis but don’t let it change your life!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 30, 2019 at 5:47 pm

bob, that is great that you are still so active.  do you have fatigue as a symptom? if so, how do you motivate yourself to work out?

• bob-hodgson

August 1, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I can’t say that I have fatigue as a symptom other than from the levodopa-carbadopa which makes me sleepy.

My motivation comes from the desire to get better and to keeping a routine. I still work so I have a set work out routine every day.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 1, 2019 at 7:16 pm

routines are so important. i would not know what day of the week it is if i didnt have my daily routine of classes i take lol

• andrew-l

September 7, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Yes, and still am. Do Parkinson’s specific exercises with trainer 3x per week for 30 minutes. Includes lots of big and rapid movements, balancing stuff, and leg strengthening (squats and lunges.) Also throw in some cognitive stuff while doing this for good measure. Go on treadmill at least 2x per week. Lift weights at least 2x per week. Stretch almost every night (30 minute yoga routine). Try to do boxing at least 1-2x per week. Was playing tennis (doubles) 2-3x per week but can no longer tolerate heat (live in Florida) so had to take summer off. Switched to competitive indoor pickle ball 3x per week. Usually good for at least 5000 steps on my fit-bit :).  Goal is always 10000 steps / day. Am hoping all this helps, I guess time will tell.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 7, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Andrew, thanks for sharing.  That is amazing!  Do u suffer from fatigue at all?

• andrew-l

September 9, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Yes I do. One of my main problems is sleeping;  the amount of sleep I get determines how fatigued I am next day. I am on round the clock meds roughly every 4 hours and sleep from 12-230AM, 330-7AM and sometimes 7-9A.  What I wouldn’t give to sleep once thru the night 🙁 . When I wake up in middle of night and how long I stay awake is big wild card . If I am awake for longer than 2-3 hours in middle of night and then don’t get that 7-9 AM rest on top of it, next day am very fatigued. Along with carb/levo I take selegiline which is supposed to be enervating as it has methamphetamine metabolites. I attribute a decent part of my energy to that.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 9, 2019 at 2:47 pm

andrew, thanks for your response. i have heard that  about selegeline.  I am lucky that I pretty much sleep through the night, however, i still wake up so fatigued and by noon, I am toast 🙁