Tagged: 

• PD friendly recliner

Posted by Anne Boggs on March 22, 2022 at 12:10 pm

Hello everyone

My husband recently has had trouble getting out of his rocking recliner . He has had PD x 18 years. We are looking for a new recliner for him and would appreciate your advice very much. Thank you in advance

Ally replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Keri

March 22, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Hi Anne.  I bought my mom a very simple power lift recliner.  It was about $900.  I would advise to only choose something with 2 buttons (up and down).  The lift brings her all the way up to almost standing.  There are very nice options these days that don’t look ugly.

• nancy

March 22, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Hi Anne,

I have had PD for 10 years and have had 2 lift recliners.  What I’ve discovered is that due to the motion of the chair, it slides around regardless if it is on cerpeting or a wooden floor.  This can be remedied by putting something under the base of the chair such as a rubberized mat commonly used for exercise machines.  The main thing that I look for in a lift chair is the type of remote it has – the type with buttons don’t last that long.  The oval-shaped remote with only an up and down button on it is more reliable.  This oval type is usually embedded into the chair.   Granted, lift chairs can be expensive.  I paid nearly $900 for mine but that included tax and a delivery charge.

• Ally

May 10, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Hi Anne, did you end up finding a recliner that worked for your husband? If you did, could you share the brand/where you got it?

• Maya Larson

October 24, 2022 at 8:15 am

I am using Signature Design recliner due to ankylosing Spondylitis, a form of severe Arthritis -cartilage of the spine (mainly) turned to calcified bone.
    I read the complete details here then At first I was sleeping on the chair half-reclined, but as time goes by, I reclined it all the way back, which is almost 170 degrees, almost flat. The full-recline option is great because it trains my chest making it ready to finally return to the normal flatbed.