Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Family and ​Caregivers​ Parents with children who have Parkinson’s disease

• Parents with children who have Parkinson’s disease

Posted by joanne on February 26, 2023 at 8:06 pm

I have a 48 year old son who lives 3 hours away.   He has 5 children and now his wife is divorcing him.  She has a boyfriend and said she doesn’t want to deal with Parkinson’s.   My husband & I have taken life savings and purchased a home for him 3 miles from the children.  My son lives alone with no help unless we make the drive up.  I have painful physical issues but go to him anyway because we love him so much.  Is anyone else dealing with anything like this.  I don’t know how to get help for him.  I’m so lost and so sad.  I feel like this is killing me.

joanne replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • cindypon981

March 17, 2023 at 4:38 pm

Joanne et al
    As a mother of a single 40 year old son diagnosed @ 33 with YOPD I Feel Your Pain.  Our son was living in Houston when he was initially diagnosed w/essential tremor.  A DAT scan indicated YOPD. His occupation as a structural geologist for a major oil company in Houston had major cut backs & gave him & a multitude of others severance pay & literally forced him to move back home.   He asked us to come to Houston for “a second opinion.”  When we found out why I said that’s impossible! Second opinion was at Baylor Institute w/the head of movement disorder and confirmed.  He builds a home 7 minutes from us and the 3 of us have dinner together Almost Every Night.  I feel sorry for him as his friends (all the guys he grew up with) are married and have families & go out & party.  For the most part his “social life” is with us.  Fast forward-February 14th he had DBS surgery.  He had pretty much maxed out cd/ld & other RX’s & it was Time to move on.  The device will be programmed March 29th.  We Are More Than Hopeful And Pray That He Will Get The Relief He So Desperately Needs.   His decline that his dad & I have watched is heartbreaking.  There is not a day when I don’t cry!  I can look out our kitchen window & see him as toddler, adolescent… living a healthy, normal life.

• joanne

March 21, 2023 at 11:55 pm

Dear Cindy,
      I don’t know if you will receive this since there doesn’t seem to be a place for me to reply to you. Just let me know if you get this. God bless you, Joanne

• cindypon981

March 22, 2023 at 8:04 am

Hi Joanne
    I got your reply.
    God Bless You As Well
    Cindy

• joanne

March 28, 2023 at 11:23 pm

Hi Cindy, I’m glad we reconnected. I couldn’t figure out how to reply. As I read your message, my heart broke. We are moms going through the same situation so we feel each other’s pain. I only wish my son wasn’t living 3 hours away. My husband & I aren’t getting any younger (72 & 81) and going there takes a lot out of me, especially when his 5 children come to stay overnight at his house. We love them to pieces but it doesn’t give us time to speak with him. I spoke to him the other day. His wife, as I said, wants a divorce. She’s planning a vacation next month and all the kids are staying at my son’s. I’m sure this is a vacation with her new boyfriend. How much more does she think my son can handle! I thank God he’s a Christian and trusts God with everything. What she is doing is so cruel. She just doesn’t want to take care of a sick husband. She actually said to me, “Don’t you want me to be happy?” I said, “Yes, with my son!” Getting away from this for now, I wanted to ask you if your son would ever consider alternative therapy? There’s a lot out there. Also, what about the Mayo Clinic? I want my son to consider this. We live in NY so we would have to travel but I’ll do anything to help him. If you would like, can you tell me your son’s first name so I can put him on my prayer list? I will be praying for you also. Please remember that God loves you and wants to help you & your family. He waits for us to be in relationship with Him. God bless you, you dear, sweet mom. Love & Blessings, Joanne