• Beth T Browne

January 28, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I would also like to know more.  Does it always work? I hear it is expensive, but how much.  I am new to PD, and I am researching as much as I can for help for my tremors.

• Anita McDaniel Brueck

January 28, 2021 at 3:28 pm

I’ve been on it for about two years — and love it.   I use this patch with Senimet — works good.  I haven’t had a so much as a twitch for nearly two years.    It is pricey – my copay is $325/mo.

• Beth T Browne

November 1, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Anita, does it just help tremors? Do you have any other PD symptoms like sleep, balance? Thanks. Beth

• Anita McDaniel Brueck

April 27, 2023 at 3:07 pm

I’m starting to have some left hand tremors — and my left toes get going pretty good around midnight and sometimes when it’s about time for my next leva/carbo, which I take about every four hour.  I still consider mine to be pretty well controlled.   50/200 at 8pm and 6 am — 25/100 6am, 11am, 4pm, 8pm.  I’m not rigid on the times — they are an approximation based on how i feel and how busy i am.   I occasionally go as long as 6 hours between tabs.    Being busy and focused on something helps greatly and influences my rx.

The patch as I understand it, helps your body to use the l/c.

• twok

January 28, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Does anyone know when the generic version will be available?

• Vickie Paul

October 26, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Sorry reply took so long. Couldn’t figure out how to use the site easily before I tried the Neupro patch. It has given me an attitude correction, YES I CAN instead of screw it, and the energy to get ‘er done.

Price is high. I’m in the donut hole, so I pay $200/ month. I think I added it up one year and the total was around $6000.

However, probably the most serious downside is potential seizures. I had 2 while driving. Crossed over into oncoming traffic. So I gave up driving for six months. I also had to give up the Neupro. 6 months later I ditched the car keys and got back on the patch. It is that important to me.

I’m loving life, doing aqua therapy at the YMCA, Finishing years old projects. Sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield.

• Ally

April 27, 2023 at 4:08 pm

Hi Vickie, wondering if you have any additional updates now that a few more months have passed. Are you still experiencing benefits? Is there anything else about your experience you can share. Thanks for starting this topic.

• Deborah McDonald

May 2, 2023 at 1:42 pm

I have been on the Neupro Rotigotine patches for about a year. I started in 2 mg and have worked up to 5mg. I have been on Sinemet since my diagnosis 4 years ago and they do a good job. But – I was getting terrible anxiety each time my pills were getting low. I had nil energy and felt desperate for something to help the panic attacks and breathlessness. My Consultant put me on Neupro patches 2mg and I was told to gradually work up to a higher dose. Initially I didn’t notice much difference but when I had been on 4 mg for a few weeks I suddenly realised that I had not had any terrible anxiety issues for a while, which was brilliant. I have stayed at 5mg for some time. I have also got much much more energy and enthusiasm – I’m upcycling some old drawers, painting the front wall and planting out the garden. From being unable to contemplate exercise (had to stop PDWarriors as I kept panicking), now I’m doing things all day long and loving it. I’m a fit 70 year old and feeling great again now. Can’t say I’m as good as pre PD but am much improved. No seizures or any bad side effects. I do get a bit hyper but it just makes me busy doing things. No gambling or shopping. Just gardening and painting. I’m in UK so don’t have to pay but I do know they are expensive. I don’t know what I’d do without them. I’m still on Sinemet, Madopar to be exact. This is very similar to Sinemet in that it is levodopa plus a buffer and works the same. We can get both here but in the US you can only get Sinemet. We’ll I’d recommend the patch but do look out for any gambling, excessive spending or other odd behaviours. Incidentally my appetite has improved but I wish I could put a bit more weight on.
        Hope this is helpful.

• Vickie Paul

May 5, 2023 at 2:12 pm

I am still very happy happy with my 2mg Nupro patch. I think it’s Been most effective at dispelling brain fog, and keeping me motivated. I  sleep well, get out of bed and get my day going. Unfortunately I was felled by a UTI for a month or more but now getting back to normal, whatever that means. Mostly I want to get back to the pool. The exercises help my arthritic knees immensely. So far this year I pay $350 / month co-pay. Pricy but worth it, and it will come down some through the year.

• mbruggs

October 27, 2022 at 2:27 pm

I was on the Neupro patch for two years. Increased dosage from 2mg to 6mg.  Also, I was taking amantadine and then Artane.  Didn’t work for me, in fact, when adding the Artane my tremors increased.

• Jody Kearns

October 27, 2022 at 3:44 pm

How do you get it from the doctors

funny I have had pd for 15 years and nobody has mentioned

Does insurance cover it

• Gwendoline Jakins

October 27, 2022 at 4:31 pm

My husband was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia initially, but the diagnosis was changed to Parkinson’s after he went on the Neupro patch. He actually had extreme apathy, which disappeared on the patch. Madapar made no discernible difference to his symptoms.

The patch can have serious side effects, so needs to be monitored. One is addictions, as in gambling, increased sexual urges, binge eating. Our neurologist says he has had a couple of patients with one of these side effects.

Gwendoline

• Don

October 27, 2022 at 5:22 pm

I was prescribed Neupro patches early in my PD journey but was unable to tell whether it was effective so am unable to recommend it.

However, I am amazed at the price difference for the patches in the US compared with here in Australia.  Both country’s patches are made in Germany but US has packs of 30 whereas Australia has 28. That does not explain the difference in prices of around USD $800 and about AUD $80 but most of those with PD qualify under the noncontributory Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme to a cost of AUD $6.

• Lyn Richards

October 27, 2022 at 8:41 pm

My first neurologist prescribed Neupro (& Azilect/rasagiline) as his first level treatment. While these didn’t benefit my tremor, they markedly improved my attention and motivation, as Vickie and Gwendoline noted, as well as my mood. I was no longer dressed in black with my hair tied back in a ponytail; instead, I felt cheerful, functional and energetic again, and still do 9 years later. Now when I become fatigued it’s bc I have been doing too much for too long.

The downside I experienced with Neupro was persistent morning nausea during the weeks of gradually increasing the dose to 6mg. Had I not been 15 years past menopause, I’d have thought I was pregnant. What helped most was ginger; my preferred form is ginger tea (grated fresh ginger boiled in water, with lemon & honey). I still have occasional mild morning nausea — relieved by burping.

The only medication I know of that helps tremor is levodopa —Sinemet in Canada, Madopar in the UK — and it’s really effective, but it took a couple of weeks of increasing the dose to have benefit. Missing med doses, skipping regular exercise, lack of sleep, and becoming exhausted or dehydrated (and perhaps missing meals) all seem to increase likelihood/severity of tremor.

In Canada it costs  $270/month, though is covered fully by my private health insurance plan. British Columbia’s Fair Pharmacare covers the cost for individuals with “advanced” PD. I would give up something else to pay for it if it weren’t covered: it’s that good.

• Don Bell

October 28, 2022 at 2:02 am

My Kaiser doctor recommended 4 mg patch for Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) treatment and it is fair.  Sinemet is managing my Parkinson’s.    1 Tablespoon of Mannitol b.i.d. has controlled my shaking for + 3 years.

• Bill Frohberg

October 28, 2022 at 7:19 am

My wife has gone from the 2mg up to the 8mg patch.  Combined with Amantadine.  The patch seems to help a little.  No great relief from the hand tremors.

• joan

October 28, 2022 at 9:33 am

I have been using the patch for a  number of years with good results.  My pharmacies MAIL OrDER GIVEs A HUge discount of 3 MONTHS/$90!  great savings!  check your insurance, they will often give a  discount for mail

• Lee

October 30, 2022 at 10:29 pm

I HAVE RECENTLY become disappointed in my neurologist and have been dr shopping.
    The bottom line is that I am now confused by my current evaluation. I have a serious problem with Freezing of gait and have had falling issues from the
    Beginning of my symptoms approximately 5-6 years ago. The problem is whether or not
    I have traditional parkinsons or multiple system atrophy (MSA). The treatment is the same, although I do not respond well to my ever increasing dosage of carba—
    Dopa. In fact,I don’tfeel any noticeable difference in my condition regardless of my medical dosing. I do have most of the non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s but have never had any tremors. I am fortunate in that regard but was wondering if anyone Here has been diagnosed with MSA?
    I motived that the trials going on with Vaxxinity Ub-312 are lumping Parkinson’s and MSA together. I was initially told I might have PSP but quickly learned I didn’t have it.I presently have regular caregivers keeping me upright but am really looking forward to any new treatment for motor symptoms. I am getting tired
    Of watching NETFLIX all day.

• Scott Solda

February 17, 2023 at 3:41 pm

My backstory:

A car accident and a bleed in my basal ganglia has resulted in my having RLS for about 15 years with symptoms now being experienced during the day. For 10 of those years, I was on 1.5 mg Mirapex at bedtime and 1.5 mg PRN. At the point where I needed 3 mg per day to sleep (often for as little as 3 hours/night), and having all my credit cards maxed out, I learned about augmentation and impulse control disorders.  After a 5 weeks withdrawal period with a doctor who did not believe in the use of opioids, I fired him. I found an MD who was not sadistic and who prescribed 2 mg tapentadol ER BID. It’s a wonderful drug and I finally have my life back. Tapentadol has little CNS effects, and the generic brand is very affordable if obtained outside of the US.

I have been prescribed just about every drug that is indicated for RLS and PD, but I wanted to try the Neupro. The 2mg patch worn continuously was effective for about a week before augmentation began again. I wasn’t surprise that I would need higher and higher dosages, since with a continuous patch, my body doesn’t need to produce its own dopamine. So I researched the drug and learned that it reaches peak plasma levels after about 6 hours and has a 7 hour half-life. Relying on common sense instead of what is recommended by the manufacturer, I went through another withdrawal period, and after my body was able to make its own dopamine, I applied the patch in the late afternoon and removed it upon going to sleep. Since each patch has 30 mg of the drug, I wore each patch for 3 days. Sometimes due to spasms, I awoke earlier than would have otherwise, but it was effective . . . for about a month before augmentation started again. At this point, I started wearing 2 patches and rotated them when they were no longer effective. After needing to wear 3 patches, I was confident they were not the answer to my RLS/PD, so I went back to using Tapentadol. It is my best friend.

Unfortunately, I have an unopened box of 2mg Neopro that I will probably have to throw away. There should be a website where people can donate expensive prescription medications.

• Maddie

May 3, 2023 at 7:56 am

I was diagnosed 2 years ago  and I take Levodopa 4x dly . I was prescribed Neupro Patch in February this year and right away, on 2 mg dose, i noticed less rigidity and stiff muscles. Not much results with tremors.  I am currently on 4 mg patch.  The copay was steep but with the patient’ s saving card , I was able to get reduced copay  (despite being insured )when I signed up on the manufacturer’s website.   My copay is  $30/month . It’s easy to sign up if your neurologist prescribed it for you.  Here’s the link to the website for anyone interested  Eligible for the NEUPRO Patient Savings Card?

• VeeNyc

May 3, 2023 at 9:59 pm

May 1, 2023

Has anyone on this thread experienced violent skin rashes or contact dermatitis while using the NEUPRO  patch? Hair falling out too? I may have to ditch this advanced transdermal patch!

I’m new to PD. Being treated by a top team of Nyu Drs. Learning to cope and understand this confusing disorder. 70yo. Active  vibrant. Thanks

• M B S

June 21, 2023 at 5:21 am

I used it for about a year. Worked ok, Copay about $200. But worst part was the alopecia, loss of hair, while on the 8mg patch. Doc at that time, she didn’t want to change it became she said, “no drug is perfect. I couldn’t stand the idea of being bald at 70, when I always had a full head of hair. After I was able to find a new doc who took me off the patch and started me a a new regimen, my hair stop falling out after about three months. And now it is growing back little by little.