Parkinson’s News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings and Podcasts How Rock Steady Boxing Could Help Improve Quality of Life for People With Parkinson’s Disease

• How Rock Steady Boxing Could Help Improve Quality of Life for People With Parkinson’s Disease

Posted by Forum Moderator on March 26, 2020 at 9:03 am

Parkinson’s News Today’s Ally Macgregor discusses how Rock Steady Boxing could help improve quality of life for people with Parkinson’s disease.

For more information about Parkinson’s disease, please visit http://www.parkinsonsnewstoday.com

Have you ever tried Rock Steady Boxing? If so, how was your experience? Let us know about it in our forums.

Jo S. replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Carol

March 26, 2020 at 2:09 pm

I have not tried Rock Steady Boxing. I know others that  have and rave about it. I live in South Denver and closest one is  hour away. Maybe one day there will be one closer.

• J. Gottlob

March 26, 2020 at 3:08 pm

RSB is fantastic!!  I have been going since it started here in Helena, MT and it is amazing how much it helps and comradery that you come to have with the other people who go.

• Jo S.

March 26, 2020 at 4:54 pm

I love Rock Steady Boxing, even more than I thought I would. Sadly, with the coronavirus isolation, our gym is closed. Although the amazing instructors there are providing daily online videos for their regular boxing classes (that the Rock Steady fighters can adapt), it’s not the same. I miss the regular interaction with people, especially those who are in the same boat that I am.

• Timothy Zeddies

March 27, 2020 at 11:24 am

I started Rock Steady Boxing soon after my diagnosis four years ago (age 65 then). I absolutely recommend to anyone—-at least try it. I don’t know what my progression would have been without it; all I can say is that every time I go I’m glad I did. I must admit that as a former martial artist it’s the kind of thing I would enjoy. (Although recently I injured my knee—meniscus tear—and it’s hard to avoid re-injuring it if I go back. So it’s a balancing act. So for my at-home workout I concentrate on upper body moves.) And it is useful to see other PD people in a situation where we’re all trying to help ourselves, and each other. And my coach (who also has PD) is great! The nature of the workout—-combining movement with using your brain at the same time—is very helpful, and better than other more monotonic exercising—-ellipticals, walking, etc.)—I’ve tried. I’d go more often, but my gym has moved from 10 minutes away to 25-30. I try (or was trying, before the lockdown) to go twice a week. Many people do 3-4 times. It’s that helpful.

• Gretchen

March 27, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I was diagnosed in February at age 77 and all the coincidences that could coincide, did! They led me to RSB in New Braunfels, TX, about 13 miles from home. My husband and I have been attending twice a week – bought the gloves and the t-shirts and carry a fistful of brochures everywhere we go. I am grateful and inspired by the experiences. I am impressed beyond words by the community volunteers who join in to assist and encourage participants. The workouts are rigorous and always adaptable and I can see how much I need this even though we go to the gym 7 days a week. Since the virus, both gym and RSB are closed, but the two RSB trainers, Erik and Robin, are making videos for us to continue at-home practice. For those who wonder, it isn’t all about boxing. The warmup exercises, the various stations, the teaming of two or three together make it do-able. The cooldown, yoga-like stretches and spirit of camaraderie are supportive.

• Jo S.

March 27, 2020 at 4:40 pm

I agree with you on all points, Gretchen. My husband takes the 15 rounds class prior to my RSB class. He was so inspired by the incredible, selfless volunteers in RSB that he became a volunteer himself!