Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications How do you take your levodopa; with or without food?

• How do you take your levodopa; with or without food?

Posted by Deleted User on November 22, 2018 at 9:17 am

I find if I take my SInimet (brand name levodopa) without any food in my stomach, I get nauseous and dizzy and must get horizontal  immediately or I will black out.   Then, the feeling passes after a few minutes of laying down.

Do you take your levodopa with food in your stomach or on an empty stomach?  If you take it after there is food in your stomach, do you think it impacts the efficacy of the drug?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Victoria Tamorria

March 21, 2019 at 1:03 pm

I take it on an empty stomach. I wait at least 1 hr to 1 and 1/2 hr before eating.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    March 21, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Victoria, you have no nausea  issues?  What happens if you take the levadopa and your stomach is not empty?

• Victoria Tamorria

March 21, 2019 at 2:13 pm

I’ve not had trouble with upset stomach. The first time I took Levadopa  nothing happened. That was about a year ago. I was on my initial dose over the weekend — three pills a day.  I went on line and found a short video on YouTube on how to take the meds.   I tried the empty stomach routine and within a day or so I noticed no sticking to the floor—improvement with tremor and overall improvement. I’ve been using this method for over a year now. I can cheat a little bit but too much protein or sugar  too close  makes symptoms come back when not giving enough time digest my food in between doses. 

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      March 21, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Victoria, thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like you have found your ‘magic cocktail’  I have had such bad nausea with my Sinemet (generic levadopa was even worse for me in terms of nausea)  on empty stomach, and I often wonder how much he meds are helping me.

• Victoria Tamorria

March 21, 2019 at 3:55 pm

I’m so sorry but i should have said:

carbiodopa (Lodosyn) / Levodopa (Sinemet).

25-100

• Victoria Tamorria

March 21, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Jean

I’m so sorry that you are having so much trouble with nausea. There has to be a solution for you. I guess you have done the detective work on this. It’s hard for me to believe that someone out there doesn’t have the answer. I’ll be praying for you! And,I’ll do more research.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      March 21, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Victoria

Thank you for your kind words.  My stomach does not do well with most meds.  AS I understand it, brand name Sinemet is carbidopa (for upset stomach) and levadopa, hence the 25/100, eg, 25 mg of carbidopa, 100 mg levadopa.  My firm belief is exercise and diet are the best weapons in my arsenal to fight this disease.