Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments Have you tried massage to help with PD related rigidity?

• Have you tried massage to help with PD related rigidity?

Posted by Deleted User on September 15, 2019 at 5:15 pm

I have found massage to be very helpful to relieve the stiffness in my neck.  However, my insurance does not cover it.  Have you tried massage?  If so, has it helped PD induced stiffness?  Does your insurance cover it?

Jo S. replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jo S.

November 1, 2019 at 8:31 am

I get massage therapy three to four times a month. My massage therapist is wonderful (and comparatively inexpensive), and I’d love to go more often if I could afford it. She doesn’t fully understand rigidity, so she’s often giving me advice that would be more appropriate for a “normal” (non-PD) person. Insurance in my state rarely covers massage therapy, and mine doesn’t at all. It partially covers speech therapy, OT, and PT, but not massage therapy. In terms of massage helping rigidity, it does … a little … but it’s not long-lasting. It would probably help more if I could go every day. 🙂 Unfortunately, it doesn’t help with muscle cramping or spasms. That said, it feels really good and is soooo relaxing, and that alone is worth it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 1, 2019 at 3:15 pm

jo

that is great that you can get massage several times a month.  I am with you… every day would be nice 🙂  i think it is a shame massage is not covered by insurance.  the relaxation and de-stressing benefits alone are are therapeutic.

• Jo S.

November 1, 2019 at 4:10 pm

Absolutely! My husband is retiring very soon (I’m still working full time), so I don’t know if we’ll be able to continue to afford it, but it definitely aids relaxation, which is something I most certainly need.