Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Have you tried aquatic therapy?

• Have you tried aquatic therapy?

Posted by ally on January 25, 2022 at 4:12 pm

Have you tried aquatic therapy? Because it takes place in water, which reduces the stress and pressure on the body, aquatic therapy is commonly recommended for exercise and rehabilitation. Studies have shown it to be particularly effective for people with early to mid-stage Parkinson’s disease, not to mention that spending time in the water can be refreshing, relaxing, and healing for both the body and the soul.

Click here to listen to a flash briefing of a column by Jo Gambosi about her sister’s experience with aquatic therapy, and be sure to comment below if you have any personal insights to share. 🙂
    ally replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • lamar-cartwright

April 24, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Very interesting! Thanks!

• ally

May 17, 2022 at 8:25 pm

Thanks, Lamar. 🙂 Have you tried aquatic therapy?

• lamar-cartwright

June 20, 2022 at 9:02 am

No, never. But I’m eager to.

• ally

June 24, 2022 at 8:43 pm

If you do, please report back on your experience! 🙂

• patricia-mccormick

May 20, 2022 at 3:42 pm

I’m currently going through aquatic therapy for SI Joint, low back and hip pain. My neurologist said it’s also good for PD. I really enjoy it. The resistance from the water allows me to get a better workout. I have some balance problems, so I use a pool noodle to walk across the pool (part of the warm up).

• mary-beth-skylis

May 23, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Patricia, do you enjoy it more than other activities that you’ve tried?

• ally

May 24, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing, Patricia. I have issues with SI joint pain, too. Are yours related to PD? Have you found the aquatic therapy to be helpful?

• maynard

June 21, 2022 at 2:45 pm

My wife, a PWP, fell in the kitchen. After 2 months in a rehab facility, she came home and aqua therapy was prescribed. It was the best thing for her to regain some mobility. She also has scoliosis and being weightless for an hour in the pool is very soothing for her. The facility was beautiful, and a trained therapist would be with her constantly. It was expensive, $400 per hour, and Medicare and insurance would only cover 2 sessions per week for eight weeks. We are considering self-pay, at least for a while.

• ally

June 21, 2022 at 3:08 pm

Hi Maynard, thanks for sharing. That’s a steep price to pay and it’s unfortunate that Medicare and insurance can’t cover more of the costs, but if it’s something that your wife finds really helpful then it’s worth it to pay out-of-pocket if you can. Was the facility/therapist/service recommended by your doctor?