Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Alternative Treatments Have you taken an LSVT Loud or Sing out Loud class?

• Have you taken an LSVT Loud or Sing out Loud class?

Posted by Deleted User on August 28, 2019 at 8:35 am

I have heard that these singing-based therapy classed can help with voice issues such as clarity and loudness.

Have you tried one of these types of classes?  If so, do you feel it is helpful?  If not, why not?

I have always had a terrible singing voice so I am a bit apprehensive about attending.

Deleted User replied 4 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 4, 2019 at 6:44 pm

hi john, thanks for sharing. I hope some folks from San Diego see this and join your group.  there will be a ‘sing out loud’ class held weekly for several months near me n NY.  I will give it a shot. Like you said, the challenge will be keeping up with the exercises after the sessions are over.

• John Castell

December 10, 2019 at 2:35 pm

My spouse has taken classes similar to LSVT and loud classes and worked with a speech vocal therapist. We and others have found that it works while you work it but most don’t follow through with the daily exercises and therefore lose the benefits.

We belong to a chorus called Tremble Clefs San Diego which is a free program for people living with Parkinson’s Disease and their care partners. It offers a 2-hour vocal therapy singing session once a week for 10 months and there is no singing experience required. We sing popular songs, that includes a bit of simple choreographed movement.

Those that have continued to sing with the choir experience improvements in swallowing and vocal strength, movement flexibility and the bonus of socialization and free snacks.  It works if you work it. Doing something, anything, everyday is the only way to fight back the PD symptoms of diminished voice and movement. If you are in the San Diego county area and would like to learn more, visit us at https://www.trembleclefs.com/join-a-chorus.html. If you have additional questions, email us at [email protected]. Thanks for your interest. John