Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Therapies and Medications Have you had bad luck using generic vs. brand meds?

• Have you had bad luck using generic vs. brand meds?

Posted by Deleted User on September 13, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Since Merck pulled Sinemet, I have had to go on generic carbidopa/levodopa.   I feel much worse, even though I have tried 3 generic brands.  I now experience mild dyskinesia which I did not have on Sinemet.  Have you had bad experiences using generic?  If so, how did you address the issue? Which generic?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • philippe-joly

October 23, 2019 at 9:27 am

I have occasionally been given generic Sinemet and I found it to be 25 to 30% less effective (based on an overall guess, not a scientific assessment). Since then, I have always insisted on being given the brand product. And this was before the new Sinemet.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 23, 2019 at 4:04 pm

my experience with generic as well.  you can still get the 25×100 brand sinemet where you live?

• gail-dons

October 25, 2019 at 2:31 am

My problem with the brand Sinemet was that it got crumbly in heat, and since I spend several months a year in very hot, un-air conditioned climates, it was especially difficult when I had to cut a tablet in half. The generic actually worked better for me there!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 25, 2019 at 6:00 pm

I did notice the crumbliness of sinemet when I cut the tabs in half so I got a more expensive cutter with a sharper blade lol.

• michael-r-scott

October 29, 2019 at 10:04 am

When and why did Sinemet 25/100 get pulled of the market? I ordered a replacement of my 25/100 about 45 days ago and with the first pill, I noticed that the pill’s effectiveness fell from roughly 6 hours to 3 hours!…..  And despite that, the price was the same!… 🙁

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 29, 2019 at 2:43 pm

hh michaael, in NY, I found out in May this year brand Sinemet was no longer orderable.  As to why, we will never know..I suspect it is no longer profitable for Merck since there are so many generics.  The generics do not work well for me either.  We are at the mercy of big Pharma 🙁  You might find this article interesting:  https://slippedawayblog.wordpress.com/2019/06/16/sinemet-shortage-the-silence-is-deafening/

• jim-shotton

October 31, 2019 at 9:13 am

My Neurologist switched me to Prolopa  and it appears to work well, without the on/off issues that I had. Propola is a Levodopa/Benserazide combo, more popular in Europe.

Gie it a try

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 31, 2019 at 1:32 pm

jim, thanks for sharing that.  it is not available in the USA, but I plan to ask my neuro about it.  The generic C/L dont seem to work for me.