Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mary Beth Skylis

Music has always been really grounding for me. When I feel stressed out or sad, it doesn’t take very long before a song brings me back to my baseline. But I know people also use singing and music to combat some Parkinson’s symptoms. Do you use music to manage Parkinson’s disease? If so, is there a certain type to which you gravitate?

RicH
      Participant

You know how some people air-guitar when they hear music? For some reason, I’ve always been more of an air-drummer. I’m still in the early stages of PD, but the stiffness in my right wrist/fingers is there. Although there are hand exercises to help with that, they’re not exactly fun. So I picked up a pair of drumsticks, even though I don’t have a drumkit. But when I put on some classic rock, I work my entire upper body. All I know is that I feel energized as I do it!

Troy
      Participant

Absolutely! I listen to, play and create music not only as an outlet for creativity, but also as a coping mechanism. I’m a lifelong Beatles fan (born after they broke up) and so of course, they are my “go to” music when I want something to listen to.

As well, I’m a drummer and I write a lot of music and now, in our digital age, I find I’m able to create a lot of new music that I couldn’t before. I have a band (I use the term loosely), The Night Owl Express (our name paying homage to my sleepless nights with EOPD), and we’re loving the digital tools that allow us to create more quickly than we could in the past.

More important than that, I have found that even with tremors, shaking is kept at bay while I play the drums. I don’t know how that is or how long this will be the case, but I do find it to be interesting.

Nancy Crockett
      Participant

During the covid quarantine my voice lessons had to stop.  Also during that year I was diagnosed with PD. I A few months ago my lessons resumed.   I was more than relieved and pleased that I had not lost my singing voice during the 1 1/2 absence.  It is an assurance that all is not lost.  PD has not taken my singing voice.

Listening to music that I  can sing with is helpful when I’m overwhelmed. It reminds me of who I still am.

Alan M
      Participant

Fredrich Nietzsche is quoted as saying, “Without music, life would be a mistake“.

I concur when it comes to living with PD as well. Without music (to listen to, to play on me SSP’s, etc.) my life would no doubt seem less tenable. I used to sing in two male choirs before my health started to flag. Now my voice modulation has begun to suffer, and I struggle not to choke on an abundance of saliva (hyper-salivation).

I am striving to learn to play the bagpipes — as I’ve wanted to learn this instrument for the past 35 – 40 years. It took me that long to be able to find and then afford tutored lessons online. I believe this will help me to focus on maintaining my fine motor skills.

• This reply was modified 13 hours, 40 minutes ago by Alan M. Reason: two typos
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account