• Posted by C Morts on August 31, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Perspiration body odor

Okay. I know this is an odd question but here goes. Has the odor of your body/ perspiration changed since you developed Parkinson’s? I seem to have a problem with that now, especially when I am nervous. Never a problem before.

J Steven Mosley replied 1 year, 7 months ago 10 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • kevinon

September 7, 2022 at 8:49 am

I’ve read that caregivers  can sometimes smell Parkinson’s on a person,    Something to with skin oils.

• Jody Kearns

September 8, 2022 at 3:32 pm

My husband keeps telling me that I smell even though I just showere

• Patricia McCormick

September 8, 2022 at 6:02 pm

About a year ago my body odor almost disappeared, which was great.  The past few months my body odor has come back.  PD is such a strange disease.

• William Palmer

September 8, 2022 at 6:56 pm

My complained that my pillow smelled. A new pillow helped address that. But for the past year I have had scalp acne, especially around my neck and ears. My neurologist pointed out that people with PD often have oily skin on their scalps. I never had this before my PD journey. My dermatologist prescribed Clobetasol Propionate Topical Solution ESP 0.05, but it has not helped. I will see him again for Plan B.  Today I went to Rite-Aid and bought some stuff that teenagers use. Maybe I am becoming a teenager again.

• Andrew Bell

September 9, 2022 at 7:46 am

Hello

I definitely had a ‘smell’ in the early days.  I would repeatedly ask my wife if she couldn’t ‘smell that smell’ but she never could.  It has gone now (or I have got used to it?).

You may be interested to watch this podcast on the breakthrough in Manchester announced this week about the scientific proof that PD can be diagnosed by smell.  It’s the first one on the list.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/when-life-gives-you-parkinsons/id1404983468

• Chris Guss

September 9, 2022 at 7:46 am

Yes, there is a Parkinson’s body odor that has just been confirmed as diagnostic. Check out the recent episode entitled, “A 3-minute test for a Parkinson’s diagnosis” on the “When Life Gives You Parkinson’s” podcast: https://www.parkinson.ca/resources/when-life-gives-you-parkinsons-presented-by-parkinson-canada/

• Bill Church

September 9, 2022 at 7:50 am

There is research that shows that people diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease produce a unique group of compounds from their sebatious glands.  See The Smell of Parkinson’s disease | American Parkinson Disease Association (apdaparkinson.org).

For the scientists in the community: Parkinson’s disease signatures found in skin oil (acs.org)

• Marjorie Weiss

September 9, 2022 at 12:03 pm

My husband’s use of Dial soap helped with the smell. I can smell the same thing on the people in his boxing class.

• Angela

September 13, 2022 at 9:13 am

My husbands body odor has become more pungent. He showers but even the towels retain the odor. He as well has foul smelling flatus constantly which is overwhelming. I think it has something to do with constipation or something else.

• Denise

September 13, 2022 at 1:13 pm

Both my husband and my father were/are Parkinson’s patients. My father passed in 2020, however, my mother did tell me that Dad went through similar periods of what I am about to describe. My own husband went through two cycles during his 16 year diagnosis, of have an acrid sour smell that came out of his pores and onto his clothing and/or sheets. I know the sebaceous oil glands can be overactive in Parkinson’s patients. Both father and son-in-law most definitely had very oily foreheads/heads throughout. Thankfully, the “Parkinson’s odor” seemed to only last approx. 2 years per cycle. Let’s hope it stays at bay for now.

• Kathy Bloomberg-Rissman

September 13, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Definitely, I sweat so much and now taking Sinemet my stench smells different .

• J Steven Mosley

September 16, 2022 at 4:03 pm

There is a smell not an odor. Thought at first maybe imagined, and then became more apparent, as days progressed. Strong musk smell.

I wear cotton T Shirts, and I began to notice new changes everyday. Oily skin, very oily around nose, extreme dry itchy scalp, continuous runny nose, damp feet even after washing and drying, and putting on socks. These are just a few things I never had, but are occurring.

Started to journal changes that are happening.