• Deleted User

Deleted User
    July 6, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Thank you Cheryl for posting this.

I live alone and do not have a caregiver.  If I did, I would hope they would try to engage me in some form of the activities I used to do to help me overcome my apathy.  I used to dance before I had PD and now, I have no more interest in either taking a class or watching a performance.  Perhaps if someone would try to encourage  me to rekindle my passion for dance by inviting me to a local dance show or perhaps seeing a dance themed movie it might help my apathy.

• Ruthie Baker

January 2, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Hi Cheryl,

You’re right on about needing encouragement.  Like you, I find it hard to participate in my passions or hobbies I once found rewarding.  Often when I wanted to get out and do something, even shop, I’m told “I can get it done much faster alone” or “it’ll be too much on you” or “I’m embarrassed to be around you” –  I keep my curtains closed so not watch cars going up and down the road.  I don’t need to see ppl have lives still.  And don’t think about turning on any lights.  Not same reason, but still a challenge for me.  So you love dancing.  Are you able to dance anymore?  It’s natural to want someone to encourage us, to want to spend time with us, to enjoy being with us.  I’ve learned so much when I went thru DBT years ago ( not just for MH anymore, all would benefit from the skills).  I still utilize them.  I know happiness comes from within. That self-validation ought to be enough.  It’s important but far from being enough.  We were born with the need for touch (newborn grasping mommy’s finger).  I too struggle with being interested in my hobbies.  Since your post, has anything changed?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      January 2, 2019 at 6:40 pm

hi Ruthie, I think you are asking Cheryl questions meant for me based on my response to her.   Cheryl is a caregiver.  I am taking Dance for PD 2x/month now.  I also completed an article about dance and how important it is.   Although I am dancing, I am not the dancer I once was and will never be again.  I am learning how to accept that. I hope you are doing well