Tagged: 

• Posted by ally on November 11, 2019 at 2:40 pm

We are experiencing our first real snowfall of the season here in Toronto today. A friend of mine was rear-ended this afternoon and was told by the collision centre not to bother coming in to report the accident today because they already have a 4-hour wait. It’s almost like people forget every year how to drive for the weather conditions!

How do you feel about winter weather? Do you get a lot of snow where you live? Do you find yourself going out less often because of the snow and ice? How does the cold weather affect your PD symptoms and general quality of life?

Deleted User replied 4 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • rcb1040

November 11, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Hi Ally and you other PD folks.  (This indeed meant to be humorous. But sadly, it is entirely true)

YIKES!!

First snow of the season here near Chicago.

Uh oh!

I thought I could sorta hide my PD.

Last year was no big deal.

But his year —  BIG   PROBLEM walking on slippery sidewalks and parking lot!

I am afraid I look like an old man with PD!!

Legs just really stiffen up!

People looking at me like they should ask if I am alright or need some help!!!

I am gonna have to think about this aggravating and revolting development!!!

Hmmmm!

Any suggestions would be welcome.

What a journey this PD is!

Robert

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 12, 2019 at 6:17 am

hi robert

i love your sense of humor and how you put it into a poem :-). I bet writing is therapeutic for you.   I am not a big fan of winter, I live in NY and we are expecting some snow and extreme cold today YIKES!

• paul-d-lefebvre

November 12, 2019 at 12:34 pm

In Minneapolis the winter has begun with just a few flurries of snow, but it is cold! I’m old enough to not have to like winter weather anymore, and I don’t. But I know Minnesota is my home and here I’ll stay. Our other three seasons are nice enough to compensate for the winter. What has me worried is that the past two winters I’ve been more and more restricted in the outside work I can do: shoveling snow. That’s become a job we now have to hire out.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 12, 2019 at 1:00 pm

hi paul,

i agree with you on the other seasons compensating for bad winters.  here in ny ( i have lived on long island my entire life)th really bad months are january and february. although the winters are getting tougher as my pd progresses and i get older….

• jo-s

November 12, 2019 at 9:18 am

There’s snow here today (in western Pennsylvania), and I’m SO not ready for it. I’ve come to detest winter, with it’s frigid temps and icy streets and walkways. The cold makes everything worse for me, especially my tremors. Once it’s penetrated, I find it very difficult to get warm again.

I haven’t driven much in winter for the past few years. Fortunately, my husband likes to drive (but not in really bad weather) and doesn’t mind doing most or all of the driving these days. I definitely go out less often in winter. The dark, short days also greatly affect my overall disposition. The only thing I look forward to with winter is … spring! 🙂

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      November 12, 2019 at 1:19 pm

jo, funny you say that, once i get a chill, my body goes into a permanent state of shivers.  needless to say, i dress in lots of layers and bundle up big time in the winter

• jo-s

November 12, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Me too, Jean! Even my layers of layers have layers! 😀

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 12, 2019 at 1:45 pm

lol, it was 60 degrees and i had my quilted winter coat with hood on.  what am i going to do when it goes below zero?

• jo-s

November 12, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Umm, put on two winter coats and hoods? 😉 I’ve been wearing winter hats and gloves for over a month now. I don’t really care what anybody else thinks, as long as I’m warm. 🙂

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        November 12, 2019 at 2:07 pm

one of the positives about this disease; i dont give a crap about what people think anymore lol.

• jo-s

November 12, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Hahahahaha! Best answer yet, Jean!!! 😀

• garrett-mcauliffe

December 3, 2019 at 6:59 am

I keep my house warmer than I ever did, including rooms that I’m not currently using. I have room by room heaters. This would’ve been sent for during the oil prices in my 20s in the 1970s, when we all lived cold to save money and oil and all that. But with PD I feel justified and keep my house warm. Pretending it’s really summer and I’m in the outdoors.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 3, 2019 at 7:06 am

garrett, the cold from winters in NY really makes me feel lousy, hence I wear a lot of layers and also turn up the house heating..Extreme heat really affects my symptoms too.  I am between a rock and a hard place. LOL