• Posted by ally on May 17, 2019 at 2:46 pm

It’s been awhile since we’ve done a general check in with the community and I’m curious – why did you join this forum? How did you find us and what are you looking for? Is there anything we could be doing to improve your experience? Don’t be shy — Jean and I want to hear from you!

Deleted User replied 4 years, 3 months ago 13 Members · 34 Replies
  • 34 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 17, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Being a part of a group who understands what I’m going through means a lot to me. I came across this forum by searching for Parkinson’s news. I love the news stories posted every day. I love to learn new things and keep my mind busy.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 18, 2019 at 7:21 am

Marcus, there is great comfort in knowing we are not alone in what we experience with PD.  I believe your positive attitude will go a long way in helping you battle this disease.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        July 9, 2019 at 5:40 am

Amelie. Thank YOU for taking the time to respond and for reading our articles.

• ally

May 20, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Awesome. Thanks for sharing, Marcus, and thanks for being part of this forum community! Outside of Parkinson’s disease, what are some of your other favourite topics to learn about?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    May 21, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Recently it’s been all about brain and body health, supplements and foods that boost dopamine levels. Also started to study Spanish as a second language. And learning to draw not very good yet.

• ally

May 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Sounds like your group covers a wide variety of topics and interests! That’s great!

• lou-hevly

May 22, 2019 at 5:43 am

I joined as a result of reading some of Jean’s articles on the Parkinson’s News Today Daily Digest. Also I’m here to learn and to help others in any way I can.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 22, 2019 at 9:24 am

Lou, thank you for reading my articles.

Your input to this forum is  valued.

• ally

May 22, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Jean is an awesome writer, I’m not surprised that led you here! Great to have you, Lou.

• claudio

May 30, 2019 at 12:39 pm

I joined this forum, because I think that sharing experiences about PD may be helpful in coping with the disease. PD, the poor release of dopamine, is a matter of brain. I wouldn’t be surprised if, sharing experiences, habits, info, tricks, one day someone finds out a way – an exercise, a trick, a behaviour – to make brain release dopamine apart from the substantia nigra. I experience sometime a lack of symptoms even without drugs and in that case I question myself on the cause of that welcome event… I then track what I did in the past hours: exercise? manual tasks? brain tasks? listening to the music? dancing? sex? restful sleep? any not routinary task? I still haven’t find the correct link… I’m still chasing it and I hope to find an answer may be reading a post right here in this forum! Thanks you all for being here!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 30, 2019 at 12:48 pm

claudio, i look forward to your post when you figure it out 🙂

• amelie

July 9, 2019 at 2:05 am

I feel less alone reading all the articles, advises from all of you.  Thank you for the sharing.

• avril

August 8, 2019 at 8:28 am

Husband was diagnosed in December , though we had already guessed that it was Parkinson’s . He’s had CLL (Leukaemia) for nine years which has been well under control for last 3 years with Ibrutinib .  Our problem is when he gets new symptoms we don’t know if we are dealing with the leukaemia or the Parkinson’s.  The Parkinson drugs have been a bit hit and miss having tried patches and Rasagiline tablets which left him very spaced out and “muzzy headed”. He’s now on Sinemet but we haven’t seen much improvement, maybe we just are not giving the treatments long enough to work?.

After being so lucky with the Ibrutinib I think we were expecting the Parkinson drugs to also be “wonder drugs” and are both disappointed with the back up help from the Parkinson nurse, it’s been a case of us finding alternative treatments and asking if we can try them! My daughter suggested this forum so we don’t feel so alone and unsupported.

• ally

August 8, 2019 at 9:12 am

Hi Avril, we’re glad you’re here and we hope you do find some support to help you and your husband on this difficult journey. It sounds like you two have been through a lot in the last decade. I hope that as a caregiver you are taking time to care for yourself, too. What kinds of things do you enjoy doing that make you feel happy, relaxed and/or re-energized? Where do you and your husband live? I’m sorry to hear you’ve had a rough go with the PD nurses too … Do you have any other options for that kind of care where you live?

• lou-hevly

August 8, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Hi Avril, what you’re experiencing with the effectiveness of Parkinson medications is normal. Every case is different and even the best doctors can only prescribe for patients on a trial and error basis.

Sinemet is the “gold standard” of Parkinson’s treatment. The normal beginning dosage is a tablet (25/100) 3 times a day. What are the main symptoms your husband is experiencing? Which are the most bothersome?

For a very moving and useful view of PD and its progression, my advice is to read Jean Mellano’s articles “Slow is the New Fast”, which you’ll find here (the oldest first):
      https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/category/slow-is-the-new-fast-a-column-by-jean-mellano/page/3/
      https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/category/slow-is-the-new-fast-a-column-by-jean-mellano/page/2/
      https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/category/slow-is-the-new-fast-a-column-by-jean-mellano/

They’re dated, so it’s easy to find the oldest and then just read them through, in order. I’ve had PD (either mine is a mild version or all the off-the-wall supplements I’ve been taking are actually effective) for 4 years and have spent many hours online reading up on it. In my opinion, Ms Mellano’s blog is the best place to go for a compassionate, comprehensive view.

All the best, and may God bless you,
      Lou

• rcb1040

August 17, 2019 at 10:34 am

Howdy folks.

I appreciate you letting me join your forum.  I was diagnosed with Parkinsonism a year ago May.  That movement disorders doctor said I am certainly stiff and slow but it’s early so come back in a year or so.  Second opinion three months later said something about about HY Stage 3!  Third opinion said nontremor likely PD, HY Stage 2.5.  (I guess I believe them.  For the couple minutes each day that I feel “normal”, I sometimes wonder).   So I was started on the routine 3xday Sinemet.  Six months later we just tripled the dosage and timing of the Sinemet to see if that helps. (Tell me again when we are supposed to eat?)  My diagnosis is still labeled Parkinsonim, likely IPD.   Things seem to be progressing a bit quicker than I thought they would   I thought I had selected the slow and steady version of PD when they gave me that PD menu!  So I have joined the forum to see if I really am just another of the apparently one million unique and different variations of Parkinson’s.  I suspect I am.  I am quiet by nature and may not post much at all, but do know that I appreciate being able to see what you not so quiet types have to say and what you have experienced.  I am 65 and continue to work full time.  I had planned to work until 70.  I have told my wife that I don’t feel ill.  I just feel really really weird most of the time!  The best phrase of where I am is something I read in my internet search.  It is that I am now missing “the anticipatory readiness to react”.   It was like I just woke up one day and it was gone.  Your forum has a very good tone.  My attitude is similar I think.  Things are what they are.  Let’s figure out how to be very smart about how to make the best of it.  Again I appreciate you letting me be able to share in our travel down this very interesting turn we seem to have all taken in our life journeys.   Do know that all your sharing is really helpful and appreciated.

Robert

• rcb1040

August 17, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Howdy again.

FYI for you wise old timers who probably have quick questions about my story.  One of the my two second opinions did mention that three word phrase, which will not be spoken aloud, that begins with the letter M, as something to consider. But that did not seem obvious to the other two Drs and an MRI did not show that as obvious for now.  We are going ahead under the presumption that that is not what is happening to me.  I do have an abnormal DATscan so I guess I am convinced this is not just normal aging and that I really do have dopamine “issues”.  And now my Dr. and I are having fun recently working on figuring out how to deal with stiffness and pain and low BP issues and interesting “plumbing” issues.

I understand my latest treatment plan is:

A lot more of the magic pills and more often for this and a then a couple of different magic pills for that and now another pill for this other thing that has decided to visit you that is a side effect of that other pill that I gave you more of  for the first this and that is also, similarly, a side effect of this other pill that I gave you for the first that!  And then lets have a follow up visit soon to see if what I am having you do for this this and this that and that that and that that are working.

This has made me dizzy.  But I cannot tell my Dr. about that.  Because I do not want to be prescribed another pill for that this too!

I suppose I am not the first to notice that they no longer bother to ask who I am when I go to my pharmacy.

Robert

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 17, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Hi robert. Thnx for sharing your thoughts.  I am glad to see u have a sense of humor, it will serve you well on your pd journey.  I can appreciate what you say about all the pills. My doc knows better than to suggest another pill for me.  I hate drugs but I do take the carbidopa/levodopa. I am still trying to figure out if I am over medicated or under medicated. I fell horrible on the meds and really horrible off the meds.  I think exercise is the best thing for me, however, the fatigue I suffer can be almost debilitating sometimes.   As you noted in so many words, pd is different in everyone and we all react differently to different treatments.  Hang in there ….

• rcb1040

August 17, 2019 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Jean.  I cannot even begin to imagine what it was like before the miracle drug carbidopa/levodopa.

• laura-seymour

August 30, 2019 at 12:13 am

I joined because I was told (1 week ago) that I have PD and I wanted to learn about it. I saw the list of forums in the Parkinson’s News. My husband is joining the care-givers forum. We both have a lot of questions about what’s in store for us.

• ally

August 30, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Welcome, Laura! We’re glad you’re here. We hope you and your husband will find lots of helpful information and support in these forums. Please reach out to me or Jean (the co-moderators) if you have any questions. 🙂

• laura-seymour

August 31, 2019 at 1:04 am

Thanks, Ally! I really appreciate your help! I do have loads of questions, but right now I’m concerned about the pain I have been reading about. I know PD is different for everyone, but I just would like some idea of what might occur. If you can give me some general idea about the pain, I would really appreciate it! The only thing I know about PD is the tremors and a shaky sense of balance. I just want to be prepared to face what may be in my future. Thanks so much!
        take care,
        laura

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        August 31, 2019 at 12:14 pm

luckily, pain is NOT a symptom for me…

• joe-escobar

December 1, 2019 at 1:30 am

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. My wife actually found it. I got a Parkinsonism diagnosis about a year ago. I’m 65. I wasn’t feeling right and thought I should get a physical.

All of my tests came through as normal, even the treadmill stress test. I thought all was good but my doctor suggested I see a neurologist

It was that visit where I was told. I’m just getting ready to retire, so this has been a bit difficult. I’m a professional musician and vocalist and my biggest concern is losing the ability to play/perform. I’ve always been an exceptional trombonist and have lost some of my “chops” over the last year. Some of it could simply be age related but not sure. I don’t have any visible tremors, but I do have a sort of “beat” in my jaw that seems to be more prevalant when I’m doing something that takes some dexterity. I’ll be gathering info from this group for sure.

• lou-hevly

December 1, 2019 at 6:00 am

Hi Joe,
      Welcome to the forum.
      I played music semi-professionally until I was in my 40’s and kept it up as a hobby until I got Parkinson’s at around 65 (I’m now 70). The bad news is that I pretty much had to give up playing my instruments, the acoustic guitar and the clarinet, because 1) my coordination was just that little bit off that made playing frustrating and 2) my playing level has always been such that I had to dedicate significant time just to keep up a mediocre level. The good news is that my singing isn’t affected, at least so far. You say you’ve lost some chops, but of course you have experience and expertise, and so perhaps you can learn to do more with less.
      What style of music do you play? Are there any links online we could follow to hear you?
      All the best,
      Lou

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 1, 2019 at 6:52 am

hi joe, yes, it is difficult to discern what is age related and what is PD/drug related in terms of our symptoms.

I hope you can continue your musical pursuits.  There is a man in my Rock Steady Boxing class who used to play in a professional rock band and sometimes he plays his harmonica in class.    And he does it well…

Here is one magical moment  in class where we all broke out into song while we trained and listened to him play  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-JswvZmeU&t=9s

• joe-escobar

December 1, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. My website is http://www.joe-escobar.com there are links to audio samples in links to YouTube videos.

I also play trombone in the Oakland Civic Orchestra, very good local community Orchestra. My orchestra playing does not seem to be affected as the music is fairly straightforward. I have not had any issues with singing so far, but I’ve had to rethink my jazz improvisation based on the loss of some of my ability and range.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 1, 2019 at 1:25 pm

thank you for sharing Joe,,,, keep at it… if we dont use it, we lose it…

• gail-dons

December 4, 2019 at 12:48 am

I joined the forum because I did not want to be alone. It is good to hear from PwPs everywhere: the variety of issues that plague us, the things that help us, and the things that make us feel better. We can encourage, inform, and commiserate. All over the world, we are in this together, and together we will be stronger, physically and mentally.

• skagit

December 4, 2019 at 2:17 am

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I joined this forum after I was diagnosed at 65(only because the C/L helps) with Parkinson’s on October 10th, for support and to increase my knowledge, and it has been a great resource. Not long after, some of my symptoms increased, though still no tremors.  Now I am diagnosed with Parkinsonism.</p>

• gail-dons

December 4, 2019 at 7:09 am

Oh, and I forgot to say that we can laugh together over some of our crazy experiences. Also, Parkinsons has its own “inside jokes”!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 4, 2019 at 12:07 pm

gail, yes, we are starting to become a community on this forum and misery certainly loves company 🙂

pamela, i was diagnosed with PD in 2015 and have not had tremors.  my biggest concerns are extreme fatigue, bradykinesia , balance and poor fine motor skills…

• scott-milstein

December 5, 2019 at 1:48 pm

I just joined. I was diagnosed September 13, though looking back the symptoms were there for a few years.
    I joined because I want to reach out and learn from people in the PD community. I am a newbie to this and feel I can learn so much from a forum like this.

Basically  I want to reach out and help and also be helped. I want to make some  friends , learn and hopefully, and most importantly, share a few laughs along the way.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 6, 2019 at 7:20 am

scott, you have come to the right place! and sharing laughs is KEY…