• What is Clinical Empathy?

Posted by Forum Moderator on May 14, 2019 at 10:11 am

What is clinical empathy and how can it help foster a “healing relationship” between healthcare providers and patients with Parkinson’s? Click here to find out.

Do you experience clinical empathy in your interactions with your healthcare team? Do you think feeling empathy from your physician is important for your quality of care?

Ally replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lou Hevly

May 24, 2019 at 8:49 am

As far as my neurologist is concerned, he’s a good man, I believe he’s competent and he listens to me and pretty much lets me do what I think is best. I don’t really expect him to feel “empathy”; I see him twice a year, and I can only imagine the number of patients he sees, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect his empathy.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 24, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Well said Lou, what you said about your neuro applies to mine as well.

• Ally

May 24, 2019 at 5:21 pm

I work in mental health/social work and we have a term called “compassion fatigue”. Clinicians often get burnt out and can’t cope with their own difficult circumstances when they give too much of themselves emotionally to their clients… It’s a hazard of the job. I imagine that seeing a high number of patients could do the same to a physician and doctors are probably educated about keeping their emotional distance in order to protect themselves. I do think it’s possible for them to still feel empathy, however, they just need to be mindful of healthy emotional boundaries.