Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s What do you need to feel safe in a COVID-19 world?

• What do you need to feel safe in a COVID-19 world?

Posted by ally on June 11, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Lots of communities around the world are gradually starting to open back up, despite the fact that COVID-19 has certainly not disappeared. In my own province of Ontario in Canada, some communities are allowed to open up their places of worship to 30% capacity. My mom, who is a minister, is working with her church to figure how they can re-open safely, especially since so many of the members of the congregation are 60+. They’re doing a survey to gather insights to inform their decision-making, and one of the key questions is: what do you, church member, need us to do to make you feel safe coming back to church?

So, my question for you all is, what do you think you need to feel safe in a COVID-19 world, in church or anywhere outside your home? What social policies/regulations do you want to see in place? In what ways do you plan to protect yourself? Do you think we should wait until there is a vaccine to open up?

jacque-walston replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jacque-walston

June 17, 2020 at 12:28 am

I need space and privacy. I need all strangers to wear a mask and stay 6 ft. away. I do not need visitors in my home; I’ll visit with you on the patio or the porch, in the park or other outdoor space.

The first few weeks this all started I was confused and scared and lonely. I wanted a hug and to be told everything will be alright. All my anticipated trips and activities came crashing to CANCELLED. Now that I have adjusted, I know no comforting will be coming as everyone is in the same boat, so I deal with it. I am retired so have not lost a job or income. I have my own projects and am investigating new ones. If I absolutely need a ‘third hand’, I have trusted friends who will come over to help. I do participate in a few Zoom meetings, talk or text with friends, and sometimes participate in outdoor church services.

I listen to my neighbors playing with their children out in the yard, the folks across the street who are remodeling, and I speak to my neighbors unmasked but across the fence. I am not sad or particularly lonely and appreciative of the extra amount of uninnterupted time I now have. I am content and willing to deal with what I have to. Just Please wear a mask and keep your social distance! I would still like to go back to hugs someday.