• Managing symptoms

Posted by claudio on February 24, 2019 at 9:39 am

I wonder if someone experience some no-drugs, effective proven ways/behaviors/”tricks” (dancing? Listening to music? Brain fitness? not routinary activities? specific brain commitments? restful sleep? Some emotional condition?Else?) to keep down symptoms (apart from exercise), by natural releasing of dopamine within the body.
    For example, I found on myself that being engaged in a not routinary/repetitive task, improves quite a lot my motor symptoms. Actually the improvement doesn’t last very long after the task is over, but is an interesting clue anyway.
    Has anyone benefit from a similar situation?

Is it available a scientific study, a clinical trial that investigates this area (I think I found just something on benefits of dancing)?

ally replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    February 24, 2019 at 9:58 am

Hi Claudio, this is an interesting post. Thanks for sharing.  I am always searching for the non medication ‘holy grail’ to ease my symptoms.  I do so many things, it is hard to tell what works and what doesnt.  I do believe exercise/movement  is key, especially repetitive to help build new muscle memory. I do a speed bag workout for 10 minutes every day and I think it has helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc2hC-6xybI

I would love to see what you found on dancing.  I used to be a dancer prior to PD.

• claudio

February 25, 2019 at 7:07 am

Hi Jean,
    I come to your points:
    Exercise: I think that we all agree there is no ground for a debate. All studies and clinical tests confirm benefit of phisical exercise (possibly vigorous and intense) as far as “no drugs” treatments are concerned. I too spend 10-15 minutes every morning for some stretching and muscles workoutl. In addition to that, I attend 2-3 weekly sessions of swim/bike/treadmill/pilates/yoga.To better benefit from that (trying to avoid sarcopenia and falls) I follow a diet of 1,25 grams of proteins per kg of weight, never exceeding 30/35 grams in a meal. Over all, wearing a fitness tracker, I assigned myself a target of 60 “active minutes” (bpm > 50% of maximum) daily.
    Dancing and Parkinson: here you find a link to a not too old meta analysis on the topic, but if you properly google again with appropriate key words, you may find more studies on the matter. In my case, I dance Argentine Tango a couple of times during the week.

I can’t manage in watching you Youtube video. It says “unavailable”…usually I can watch every Youtube video. Are you sure is still there? Or there is a Continental restriction…. I am in Europe. Let me know if you fix it.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      February 25, 2019 at 7:06 am

hi Claudio, that is wonderful that you tango, such a beautiful dance… It sounds like you have a good plan to combat PD…  I too have a fitness tracker and it reminds me when I need to move LOL.

I had the video marked private and changed it to public.  see if you can play it now…

• ally

February 25, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Hi Claudio, thanks for sharing some insight into your life and physical routine/diet. Have you always been active/followed a healthy diet, or is this something you’ve taken up more recently to help manage your PD? Have you always been a dancer? I have two left feet but I would love to learn how to tango — if I can find a partner patient enough to have me. 😉