Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Journaling and living well with Parkinson’s

• mary-beth-skylis

September 3, 2021 at 8:07 am

Thanks for your post, Lori. I’ve always kept a journal. It’s fun to be able to look at previous journals to remember where you were in life. Have you found a lot of value in them?

• lori-deporter

August 22, 2022 at 10:48 pm

I look back and I see how far I have come in this journey. It’s been a crazy ride!

• krukar

August 24, 2022 at 5:54 pm

Lori,

My Parkinson’s journey began officially 10/20 but we guessed I have had it for quite awhile longer. Journaling (writing) on these sites has been a great outlet for me. I am retired so just sitting around waiting is not the best course of action for me. I  had a good career so these writings keep my brain percolating still. Thank you for your reminder of that. You show lots of courage in your various endeavors. Blessings, Mike

• lori-deporter

May 25, 2023 at 1:58 am

“Keep on keeping on”… my son said that in a speech at graduation and I pass  it on to you!  It’s short and sweet but makes a point!

Lori

• Rick Tabakin

August 25, 2022 at 5:15 pm

Lori:

I started to journal entry about 2 yrs ago.  I found it a means to capture my feelings.  When I was first diagnosed, about 4 yrs ago, I was somewhat in shock.  Where did this come from?  There was no family history of PD.  Then I went through a period of anger – why me?  What did I do to deserve this?  Finally, I reached a period of acceptance and looked for ways to cope and to improve my life with PD.

I now try to play Pickleball most mornings and am coaching a Pickleball team in my housing development.  I also go fishing in the early morning – don’t always catch something, but it’s a good social opportunity.

I am in my 70s, but decided to go for a Masters’ degree in Project Engineering to keep my mind engaged.  It’s a great route to interact with younger engineers.

I also volunteer at a local food pantry.  I may not have the same abilities as most of the other volunteers, but I do the best I can.

If you have PD, make the most of your life.  There will be bad days, but concentrate on the good days and “don’t beat yourself up” if you have an off day.

• lori-deporter

May 25, 2023 at 1:54 am

Journaling is therapeutic for me! I’m glad you like it – it must be an engineer thing. I am an IE by degree. I want to learn pickle ball!

Lori

• sherman-paskett

September 20, 2022 at 8:35 am

My wife and I started journaling the day we married 44 years ago. Now, 13 years into PD, keeping a handwritten journal is close to impossible, but I can still type even when the meds are off (albeit slowly). On January 1, 2023 I will start typing my journal and have already begun the very long project of transcribing the 44 years worth of hendwritten entries. It is beyond fun to be able to look back at the past — it is sometimes a lifesaver. A handwritten journal in a bound volume is admissible in court, while the same on a computer disk would not be.But still, it can be very interesting to look back 5, 10, 20 years to see what we were up to and how we ended up where we are.

My other project is a life history, which would be impossible without the written record of the past. Will anyone ever read it? Probably not, but I am doing this for myself, anyway. If someone does read it, then even better.

• lori-deporter

May 25, 2023 at 1:50 am

Someone will find your work someday an enjoy reading every piece of it!

Lori