Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How Parkinson’s affects friendships

• How Parkinson’s affects friendships

Posted by ally on December 12, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Has having Parkinson’s disease had any impact on your friendships? Do your friends understand and empathize with your situation, or have you lost friends because they no longer ‘fit’ with your life? Have you made new friends within the Parkinson’s community? If so, how?

ally replied 5 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 14, 2018 at 5:16 am

My close inner circle of friends sympathizes with my plight, however, they cannot possibly empathize.   I look to my Rock Steady Boxing friends (we all have PD) for support, as only one with PD can truly understand what we deal with on a day to day basis.

• ally

December 17, 2018 at 3:07 pm

That makes sense, Jean. I’m sure having the Rock Steady folks in your life helps fight against the loneliness that accompanies being chronically ill. Are you folks doing anything fun together this holiday season?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        December 17, 2018 at 5:51 pm

Boxing coach has all sorts of fun drills revolving around holidays.  Like the twelve Days of Christmas, 12 jumping jacks, 11 burpees, 10 squats etc….

• ally

December 18, 2018 at 10:13 am

That’s such a neat idea!