Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s How has Parkinson’s changed the holidays for you?

• How has Parkinson’s changed the holidays for you?

Posted by Ally on December 21, 2023 at 5:40 am

It’s impossible for Parkinson’s not to affect every aspect of our daily lives and relationships, and the holiday season is no exception. How has living with PD or caring for someone who does affected your/your family’s experience during the holiday season?

Lori DePorter replied 6 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jim Brennan

December 21, 2023 at 6:36 pm

As part of down-sizing into a new home we have reduced the amount decorations we are using in our house.

• Ally

January 5, 2024 at 6:45 am

Thanks for responding, Jim. How do you feel about that? Do you miss all of the decorations you used to put up or do you appreciate the less is more approach?

• Lori DePorter

December 29, 2023 at 9:14 pm

It’s weird – I am in a room with people who love, support, and accept me for who I am, yet sometimes I feel lonely. It is as if I am looking down at a version of myself desperately wanting to find my former self, who is lost.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 3, 2024 at 11:03 am

Lori, I know this feeling. I’m sorry that you know it, too. Have you found that your Parkinson’s community helps to cure the loneliness at all?

• Tommy

January 2, 2024 at 3:36 pm

Hard time standing to talk to people. Couphing because I chocked is embarrasing. Being weak to walk very far.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 3, 2024 at 11:02 am

I’m so sorry that this is a reality. I know my dad relates to this description of Parkinson’s around the holidays. Do you find that you’re still willing to participate in social gatherings? Or do you prefer a more contained environment?

• Lori DePorter

January 8, 2024 at 1:03 am

I tell myself i am enough! And I am very comfortable with my PD PEEPS

• Karla Burkhart

January 4, 2024 at 7:47 pm

We used to have a house full on Christmas and other holidays. Now I’m very satisfied with only a few family over. I can handle that amount and enjoy the days. Whether it is PD or just age, I don’t really know but I do know I don’t have the energy for the intense holiday prep and activities I once had.

• Ally

January 5, 2024 at 6:46 am

Hi Karla, I hear ya. Who did you celebrate with this year?