• rcb1040

July 26, 2020 at 12:57 pm

Hi Ally

I was thinking about your topic and it dawned on me that it is in the 90’s today where I live and we had one of the coldest winters in years last year.  But you know, I didn’t really notice the cold last winter or give a thought to the current hot days.  I don’t go outside any more than I have to since my Parkinson’s showed up.  I still work and I live in a townhouse type arrangement where my car is in a common garage just outside my lowest level door.  Each day, I just get in my car, drive three blocks, park right by the back door to my office and walk but 20 feet to the door and I am all set for the day.  Same thing going home.  Before all of this I was outside all the time.  I do think I may be hiding at bit from people yet, I admit.  But even so, I never really thought about this before.  I will say this about body temp regulation.  I now sweat just drying my hair with a towel in the morning!  I sweat at just the thought of sweating.  This is a change for me.  And when I am chilled, I am really really stiff.

Talking about cool, brings to mind that it must have been much more difficult to cope with the weather with PD 30 or 40 years ago.  Where I live, we will often have a dozen or more sub zero days and certainly 30 to 60 sub freezing days a year.  I can remember many days when I was in my twentys and thirtys  that driving a car required always having a disposable pen or pencil and a bit of mechanical knowledge.  On many days, you had to take off the air cleaner, but a pen or pencil in the carburator to keep the butterly open and sometimes spray some starter fluid directly into the manual carburator to get the old car started on a very very cold day.   Imagine doing that with PD!  Nowadays, with fuel injection and electronic ignition standard in every vehicle you don’t have to deal with that.  You don’t even need to know that a car has a carburetor.  Just get in, put your foot on the brake and touch the starter or turn the key.  I now even have a remote starter on my car so I can start it to warm up the car for 5 minutes before I drive home at the end of the day.   Much, much easier nowadays.

So, no danger of heatstroke for me so long as I keep the electric bill paid and my car full of gas.

Thanks, and best regards to all.

Robert C.

• ally

July 28, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for replying, Robert. Yes, as long as technology works the way it should it’s pretty easy to control the temperature in a car or at home! I need to get myself an automatic starter. Ontario winters get pretty darn cold and one of those would make a world of difference, especially after the car has been sitting outside all night or while I’m at the office (if we ever return to the office, that is).