• How do you deal with frustration?

Posted by ally on October 22, 2018 at 9:49 am

Many of the symptoms of Parkinson’s are physical (i.e., tremors, loss of mobility) and/or cognitive, and both types can really slow you down and sometimes even make it impossible for you to do the things you’re used to doing with ease. This can be a frustrating and isolating experience. How do you cope with having to slow down or change how you do things? Do you find you need to rely more on others for help? How does that feel?

William R replied 3 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • hunter

March 16, 2021 at 8:07 am

I tend to try and find an activity that is incompatible with being aware of what is frustrating me.  Difficult but helpful at certain times.

• paul-hojuson

March 17, 2021 at 5:46 am

It’s really difficult to accept the fact that I’m physically aging so quickly. In the past year, I’ve noticed significant changes in my ability to walk even with the medication which may have worked well one day and not the next. I don’t think there is any good solution other than complete relaxation in such moments and then try again. Also realizing that I have to learn to walk as if it’s a new experience everyday helps otherwise getting frustrated only leads further into depression.

• laurap1359

March 18, 2021 at 12:10 am

It is very frustrating to realize I can’t do the things I used to, especially when I am having a good day, I may think about doing something more challenging , because at that moment I feel I could, my mind runs away with making plans, but then within a short period of time reality comes crashing down and I say to myself, what were you thinking you can’t do that, whatever it may be. It can be upsetting at the moment, but I try to think about what I can do, and my family that always helps me do what I can. There are many people who deal with there own challenges in life, we are all different,  but the same in many ways, so I just try to accept my own challenges and get on with life.

• William R

March 18, 2021 at 3:22 pm

I really want to thank those folks who wrote in on this subject. I too become frustrated especially on a “good day” when things go south. I appreciate the advice I will try to follow the suggestions given. I know my wife feels the frustration as well and many times I add to that frustration. This disease is unfair because my mind can do so many things my body cannot.