Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Help! PD has got food on my face !

• Help! PD has got food on my face !

Posted by SteveNaive on March 1, 2020 at 1:43 am

As PD brothers and sisters, it seems there is no end to the variety or the seriousness of the symptoms we get to deal with. The one I want to bring up is perhaps on the less serious/non-life threatening end of the spectrum, but yet I can’t ignore it. No one will let me. I get this nearly every day: “Steve, you’ve got food on your face!”

I’m pretty certain that I didn’t have this problem before PD (well maybe when I was a toddler). What can explain this? Are my facial nerves less sensitive to feelings that would have previously forced me to use a napkin more? Am I missing some cognitive
    process that reminds me to clean up?

It’s really not something we can ignore; it goes along with our weak voices and our curious facial expressions, with what I would call the “first impression symptoms”. In other words, one of those things people notice about us upon first introduction, when they often decide “This is clearly not a person that I need to take seriously.”
    What do you think, PD Nation? Any observations or suggestions?

Robert Harris replied 4 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rebecca “Becky” Adams

March 1, 2020 at 8:14 am

I think that it is because your muscles around your face are not as sensitive and you don’t maneuver your utensils as well as you once did. At least that is my excuse …..and I, sticking to it!

I regularly look in a mirror after I eat to clean up and I often have to change shirts because the lettuce, which had ranch dressing on it , has left a big oily stain on my shirt.

yes, I could wear a bib but I don’t wanna….

• Rebecca “Becky” Adams

March 1, 2020 at 8:14 am

I think that it is because your muscles around your face are not as sensitive and you don’t maneuver your utensils as well as you once did. At least that is my excuse …..and I, sticking to it!

I regularly look in a mirror after I eat to clean up and I often have to change shirts because the lettuce, which had ranch dressing on it , has left a big oily stain on my shirt.

yes, I could wear a bib but I don’t wanna….

• David

March 1, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Ditto on lettuce ! salad is a casualty… facial muscles to be sure… speech impact etc. I have to focus on every word i utter, just as i need to focus on every step i take… and the napkin is never far away!

• Robert Harris

March 1, 2020 at 11:15 pm

My wife keeps handing me a napkin or motioning that I have food around my mouth, especially when we are eating sandwiches or burgers. We have speculated that our circumoral (just made that up) nerves are dead and gone and cannot therefore report that there is ketchup or bbq sauce all over our face.