Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Symptoms and Progression Has your hair changed since the diagnosis?

• Has your hair changed since the diagnosis?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on January 15, 2020 at 6:00 am

My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) likes to tell me that your hair grows back thicker if you shave it. Before he underwent DBS last Fall, he stopped growing hair in certain areas of his scalp. And he was convinced that it was related to Parkinsons. After he shaved his head for the surgery, his hair grew back really thick and filled in all the missing spots.

Has anyone else noticed changes in their hair? Do you know why this could be happening, if so?

Mary Beth Skylis replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Toni Shapiro

January 17, 2020 at 11:44 am

Hi, Wow, this resonates with me.  I have been using Rogaine for years now because I was losing my hair like crazy.  It has stopped as long as I keep up the Rogaine.  I havn’t seen anything about hair and PD so I am interested if others have found hair loss to be a problem. I was thinking maybe the Rogaine gave me PD but I realize that I have had this disease many years prior to diagnosis.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 20, 2020 at 9:12 am

Hey Toni,

Yeah in my Dad’s case, he had small patches of hair that wouldn’t quite fill in. For the most part, it was thick as ever. But I think it was mostly behind his ears where hair struggled to grow. And I was always curious about why. He has had this big, fluffy head of hair for as long as I can remember.

And, now that he shaved it off for his surgery, and it has begun to grow back, it’s back to its original thickness. It’s very interesting to hear that you’ve wondered about the hair loss , too.

• Alan Ascher

January 21, 2020 at 2:22 pm

Yes indeed, patches are not growing in near the part…could be turning 68…could be Parkinson’s……?

• laura seymour

January 21, 2020 at 4:58 pm

I started losing my hair in a Christmas tree pattern about 2 years ago (before I was diagnosed, but certainly exhibited PD symptoms).  I was puzzled as no one in my family had this happen to them.  I tried Rogaine, which did not work for me and I found that when I stopped, the hair would fall out again.  I stopped immediately.  It’s been about 6 months since my diagnosis and prescription for Sinemet.  I feel it’s a little better, but still thin on top – more than it was before the first loss.  On a medically related note, my daughter is fighting gastric cancer and had chemo before her first operation.  She is Asian and had thin, straight hair.  Her hair is growing back thick and curly!!  Go figure!!  Good luck to all with this issue.

• Mary Beth Skylis

January 22, 2020 at 9:14 am

Thanks for your feedback!!

Well, and I’m curious about what my Dad said about shaving it off too. He’s convinced that if you shave your hair, it’ll grow back thicker. And that did happen, in his case. Since his surgery in September, his hair seems like its back to normal. I wonder if it’ll stay that way.