Parkinson’s News Forums Forums COVID-19 and Parkinson’s Has Covid-19 changed your doctor appointments?

• Has Covid-19 changed your doctor appointments?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on June 8, 2020 at 6:40 am

With strict precautions in place across the country, how we’re receiving medical care is shifting. Many of my appointments have been delayed or re-scheduled. Have any of you experienced changes revolving around doctor appointments? Are you able to meet virtually?

mary-beth-skylis replied 3 years, 9 months ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • robert-tauber

June 9, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Yes it certainly has and all for the good. My movement disorder Doc suggested that I email him directly with any questions or concerns and he answers very quickly. He still does my Dystonia botox injections and the office is empty. Looking forward to this nightmare being over.

• jeffery-hill

June 9, 2020 at 7:15 pm

My May neurologist appointment was changed to a phone call.  It went ok but Zoom would have been useful if I had needed to demonstrate movement disorders.  My November appointment is tentatively face to face.

• jim-skylis

June 10, 2020 at 7:17 am

Welcome to Zoom. I ow communicate with my neurologist by zoom.  It seems to work out fine for now.  I am looking forward to face to face contact.  I wish I had bought stock in zoom months ago.

• mary-beth-skylis

June 10, 2020 at 10:56 am

Have you enjoyed minimizing travel time to the doctors office? Or is it mostly a headache to navigate technology for appointments?

• cheryl-hughes

June 11, 2020 at 5:03 am

We had our first telemed visit with the neurologist. His first words were, “Thank you for inviting me into your home.” I hadn’t thought of it that way!

Then he asked to see the set-up that we have for my husband – his hospital bed, Hoyer lift, grab bars in the bathroom, etc. I was glad I had straightened up that morning and that the bed was made!

• patricia-b-wargo

June 11, 2020 at 2:51 pm

My last check in was via telemed. It worked out fine. My next appointment is at the office. (unless I hear otherwise).  If I didn’t feel I need an adjustment to my DBS stimulator, then I could see doing another telemed appointment. We certainly enjoyed the fact that we didn’t have a 2 hour commute each way, an hour of which is spent on a commuter train.  We now have to decide whether to drive or go in on the train.  It’s not til July so we have some time.

• marlene-donnelly

June 11, 2020 at 4:11 pm

I have had online appointments with my neurologist, my allergist, and my primary care doctor. All of the appointments very well. I was surprised with how through each appointment was. My neurologist watched me walk and do other things that I would have done in the office. My primary care doctor had me check my temp. and my blood pressure (I had my thermometer and blood pressure monitor handy) during our visit. I can see online appointments being used on occasion even after COVID-19 is a thing of the past.

• rob

June 11, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Yes,

I visit a movement disorder clinic in Toronto. My most recent visit occurred in December, where I was given an appointment for a new Duodopa tube for mid February. I cancelled that one due to illness and rescheduled for late March. That was a bad idea.

I was able to visit the psychiatrist by telephone, which worked very well.

• cheryl-hughes

June 12, 2020 at 6:12 am

Two things I wanted to add – our tele-med visits were much longer than the time we would have actually spent with the doctor in their office. They were both (neurologist and PCP) at least 45 minutes long. Also, we had their undivided attention, and they seemed more engaged. Perhaps it was because this was new to them and they had allotted more time for each call, not knowing what technical difficulties they may encounter. Nevertheless, I felt both visits were very personal and unhurried.

• mary-beth-skylis

June 15, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Wow! It sounds like there are a lot of benefits to telemedicine. I’ve, personally, had virtual appointments with my therapist and physical therapist. And you’re right, it seems much more efficient in terms of time.

Does anyone feel that they’re missing components that you might ordinarily receive from a doctor’s visit?