Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Faith in the face of chronic illness

• Faith in the face of chronic illness

Posted by ally on October 19, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Living with chronic illness means facing numerous challenges. Do you have faith or any spiritual practices (prayer, for example) that you lean on for support? Are you a member of a faith community? Have you always had these things in your life, or did they reappear after you were diagnosed with Parkinson’s? If faith/spirituality isn’t part of your life, why not?

ally replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • natlp

October 22, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Yes, I lean heavily on prayer and the prayers of others. Without my faith in Jesus, I don’t know how i would make it, especially lately as things have been progressing faster.  I know that this burden of PD is only temporary, as is this life. Even knowing that, it’s difficult to keep that eternal perspective when I struggle day-to-day. I have a church small group and a women’s Bible study group for prayer support. My faith has been part of my life since i was 25. I was diagnosed 9 yrs ago at age 49.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      October 23, 2018 at 7:23 am

Hi Natalie, I am so sorry to hear you are progressing more quickly.  May your faith sustain you and continue to give you hope.

• ally

October 23, 2018 at 9:28 am

Natalie, thank you for sharing. My faith has also been a source of comfort to me in challenging times. Is there a particular prayer or scripture verse that you would like to share with others as an encouragement? Thank you again for being a member of our community.

• natlp

October 23, 2018 at 8:18 am

Thank you, Jean.