Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Educating the Educated About Parkinson’s Disease

• Educating the Educated About Parkinson’s Disease

Posted by Forum Moderator on March 22, 2019 at 10:36 am

Taken aback by a medical professional’s questions about her Parkinson’s history, Sherri Woodbridge was reminded that many people — even medical professionals — need more adequate education about the disease. Click here to read more from Sherri.

Have you ever been in a situation like the one Sherri describes? How did you handle it?

Deleted User replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Lou Hevly

March 24, 2019 at 10:33 am

The question I find most difficult is “How long have you had PD?” Well, occasional tremors since 2011-12, I lost my sense of smell in 2007, and I was definitively diagnosed with PD after a DaTscan in 2015.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      March 24, 2019 at 10:43 am

Thank  you Lou for your response.  People look at me and say I dont look like I have PD since I do not have tremors.  They have no idea how hard it can be for me to get dressed or how I feel internally, PD is not all about just tremors and I have to constantly educate people.

• Lou Hevly

March 24, 2019 at 11:45 am

Another thing I just thought of: I definitely get a spaced out look on my face sometimes and it looks to others like I’m “out to lunch, lights on but no one’s home”. And people can think they’re boring you when all you think is that you’re listening normally.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      March 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Sometimes I feel spacey and out to lunch, but I dont think I have that look just yet..