Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Living ​With​ ​Parkinson’s Do you talk about death and dying?

• Do you talk about death and dying?

Posted by ally on September 23, 2019 at 9:35 pm

My beloved cat died  over the weekend and it made me remember how short life really is. My cat had been ill all summer and I feel like I kind of mentally prepared for the loss over that time, but it was still devastating to receive the news from the vet on Sunday morning. Up until the day he died, I was pretty open about talking about his declining health and that he was likely going to die soon. I think it helped me mentally prepare to experience grief and loss.

But he’s a cat.

I’m not sure if I would be so open if it were me approaching death. What about you? Have you thought about or even had open conversations about death and dying with your family and friends?

lou-hevly replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 25, 2019 at 6:15 pm

i fear loss of independence due to this disease more than i fear death.  one of the things i hate about PD (and there are many things i hate about it) is that you “don’t die from PD, you die with PD”

• rebecca-becky-adams

September 25, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Yes, I have talked about it with my husband… we talked bout it some before PD (I’m the one w PD)  but have revisited it since my diagnosis.. I want to die with dignity but don’t really know if that will happen w/me having PD….he too wants to die with dignity. Really though all we can do is pray that it occurs because it is out if our hands,.p.       So sorry  bout the loss of your pet..that is hard, too.j

thanks, Becky Adams

• ally

September 26, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for sharing, Becky. It’s a very difficult thing to think about, let alone talk about. I’m sure the conversation will continue as time goes on and your PD progresses. You mentioned prayer … are you connected to a good pastor/faith community?

• lou-hevly

October 10, 2019 at 11:08 am

Yes, but I don’t connect PD with it yet. It’s more like philosophic speculation, especially the question of whether anything we do has any bearing on what, if anything, comes next.