• Posted by Deleted User on December 11, 2019 at 6:40 am

Pets can be a great source of emotional support in times of despair. I have a rescued rabbit I will get down on the floor with when I am feeling sad.  His bunny kisses and affection help me feel better. How about you?  Do you have a pet?  Dog, cat, bunny, other?  Does he/she help you?

pam-randles replied 1 year, 8 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • jo-s

December 12, 2019 at 1:53 pm

We’ve had cats in the past, and they were always a huge comfort. Sadly, they have all passed on to kitty heaven. We frequently talk about adopting again, but we had some massive home remodeling done this year, and I fear that a cat would destroy the curtains and carpeting and other updates. It was incredibly expensive to do the remodeling (the first major updates we’ve ever made to our townhouse), so I’m hesitant to adopt a cat because I don’t want to put the cat (or us) in such a difficult position. I do, however, have a furry stuffed toy — and while it’s hardly the same as living being, it strangely provides a bit of comfort when I need something to hold and cuddle (other than my husband, of course).

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 1:57 pm

jo, sounds like you have given careful thought about getting another pet. i wish more people did that so we wouldnt have so many animals needing forever homes.  i dont know what i will do when my bunny passes (he is 10 now).  it is a huge responsibility.  i can barely take care of myself LOL

• jo-s

December 12, 2019 at 2:12 pm

I agree with you on all points, Jean. Another aspect of adopting is dealing with their passing if I should outlive them. It was so very painful to cope with the loss of our beloved kitties that I’m not sure I could deal with the depth of that grief again. Is that a concern for you with your bunny?

• ally

December 12, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Hi Jo, I adopted two kittens in 2013 – twin ginger boys. Unfortunately, one of them passed away in September at the age of 6 1/2. I was devastated and his brother is still confused and a bit out of sorts because he’s never ever been alone. I keep debating getting another kitten. There are so many pros and cons…. I’m sorry about the loss of your kitties. Only people who have loved an animal understand just how real that grief and loss can be.

• jo-s

December 13, 2019 at 12:35 pm

So true, Ally. I’m sorry about your ginger boy — he was so young! It’s a dilemma to get a new kitty when a surviving sibling has been with you so long. Sometimes they can make a new friend … or a new enemy. If it’s the latter, it will be torturous. We’ve been in that situation and had to rehome one kitty and return another kitty to the shelter. It’s a tough decision for sure!

• ally

December 13, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Yes, he was too young. He had CKD and they don’t know why he got it so young … I think he had it for a long, long time but because cats are so good at hiding illness, I didn’t notice any symptoms until about 6 months before he passed away. I miss him every day! I think I will hold off on getting a new kitten for now. I think my other boy is starting adjust to having all of my attention. The other risk is that my surviving cat OR the new cat may fall ill, too. I blew through about $5000 trying to keep my boy alive and comfortable this past summer. It was worth every penny but I can’t afford to do that again. Thanks for your message. 🙂

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 2:17 pm

yes, it is a concern for me as well, also, if my pet outlives me, who will take care of him.  i lost another bunny last year, he was 12 and it was heartbreaking for me.  thank God he went on his own terms and i did not have to make a decision to euthanize

• jo-s

December 12, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Our gals had to be euthanized, and the experience devastated me. I was directly involved (at the direction of our vet) with our younger kitty’s end of life, and I can’t express how emotionally crushing and traumatic it was. That would definitely be another concern. I hope things work out with your bun-bun so that he, too, can go on his own terms and that his passing will be peaceful (for both you and him).

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 7:20 pm

thank you Jo for your kind words.  i cant even imagine having to make the euthansia decision.  i have heard it is important to be with our pet as he/she passes as they are so scared being with strangers and it is comforting for them to have someone they know with them at the end.

• enthusiastic-steward

December 16, 2019 at 2:10 pm

3 snakes (a Carpet Python, a Ball Python, and a Boa Constrictor), one insane tuxedo cat, and a parakeet! So five pets.

• ally

December 16, 2019 at 6:49 pm

Wow!! I have to admit I’m frightened of snakes, but your household sounds like a fun one! Do your pets interact with each other much?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 16, 2019 at 2:16 pm

wow enthusiastic steward. thats quite a handful! do they all get along?

• pam-randles

July 28, 2022 at 6:13 pm

I have three cats. 2 males and a female (that I brought home from the Middle East). They are Minx,Oliver  and Siva (who is my daughter’s cat while she is caring for my grandsons pets).