• Best and Safest Flooring

Posted by larry-gasinski on August 25, 2022 at 10:36 pm

I’m 72 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 3 years ago.  My biggest problems have to do with balance and gait.  These seem to be progressing more rapidly lately, and I’ve experienced several falls.  We are planning to change the flooring in our home, but we’re not sure what of the safest flooring would be.  We currently have carpeting throughout the house, but we want to get rid of that.  We are considering vinyl planks. So, I’m wondering what others have used in their homes to make them safe?

larry-gasinski replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • barbara-ernest

August 30, 2022 at 2:09 pm

My wife had a lot of balance problems resulting in falls. Could not adjust to using a cane because anything in her hands caused her to lose focus on her feet.

• sherman-paskett

September 19, 2022 at 11:12 am

We are also replacing flooring. We have selected the so-called luxury vinyl plank for a number of reasons: it has some texture so will not be too slippery; it has a little give to it, not like hitting concrete when you fall; it is durable and easy to clean.

We are both sick of carpet. While it is better to fall on carpet, it is too hard to keep clean and that has to factor into our decision. Life is too short to spend it cleaning.

• larry-gasinski

September 20, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Hi Sherman,

Thanks for your reply.  We feel the same about carpet.