Parkinson’s News Forums Forums Parkinson’s Treatment Diet and Exercise Do you spend a lot of time outside? Why or why not?

Tagged: ,

• Do you spend a lot of time outside? Why or why not?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on April 3, 2023 at 9:16 am

When the temperatures start to get warmer, I can’t help but plan all of my summertime adventures. I just feel like a better version of myself when I’m out and about, interacting with the world. I think the sunshine and being outside keeps me healthy. 

Do you spend a lot of time outside? Why or why not?

annamaria-b replied 11 months, 1 week ago 13 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • sherman-paskett

April 4, 2023 at 3:37 pm

I live in the desert and our outdoor activities are pretty limited in the summer. It is then that I notice my PD symptoms getting worse due to lack of physical activity.

October through April, however, you will usually find me pulling the tools out on the driveway (my woodworking shop) and working on various projects. During this period of high activity I am virtually symptom free, so long as I stay on my meds. But after a few days of limited activity the tremor is back with a vengeance.

I have not found an exercise program I can do inside that I can sustain any interest in. I have to be outside, with my tools and some wood.

I have this wonderful recumbent trike I bought years ago when I first felt my balance going south, but I don’t ride it — it’s too slow — even though we have paved canal banks that are very bicycle friendly. I need to dust off the thing and get some lower body exercise.

BTW – planing a board is a great upper body workout. Don’t let some doctor tell you that woodworking is not exercise.

• Karla Burkhart

May 4, 2023 at 4:16 pm

If at all possible, I spend as much time as possible outside. I just feel better with sunlight. I wear sunscreen year-round because I burn easily and I’ve had enough cancer spots removed for a lifetime.

• alan-m

April 4, 2023 at 8:00 pm

Hi Mary Beth!

I was a forester in W Canada from 1985 to 1999.  As such, I sprinted up 125% slopes and jumped from hovering helicopters onto landing pads, to get to the job sites.  We worked out-of-doors every day, winter & summer.   The former season reached minus 35deg Celsius and required the use of “misery slippers” (snowshoes) and the use of snowmobiles.  Needless to say, I was in good nick.

After this, I shifted from BC to Australia, trained to be a Pastor and then a counsellor (therapist).  These occupations led me to become very sedentary, to say the least!  I now weigh 20 kilos more than I once did.  And I don’t erven want to go out much these days.

Sad, really…

• Rick Tabakin

April 6, 2023 at 2:51 pm

I live in South Florida.  I spend a lot of time outdoors – fresh air, sunshine, fishing, walking, sports, etc.  During the summer months, however, the afternoons are unbearably hot and humid and I tend to stay indoors.

• krukar

April 8, 2023 at 7:22 pm

Hi Mary Beth.

I like to walk with my wife. In the summertime we like to go to our time share pool in  Cornville Az. These days it might get too hot but we use lots of SunScreen. I do lots of exercise on my deck in the fresh air. It is a good question you ask.  Blessings, Mike

• robert-morgenstern

April 18, 2023 at 8:24 am

No, it is Spring. It rains. It is cold. My wife is critical and in a hospital.

• kenneth

April 28, 2023 at 3:37 am

I do. I love the smell of flowers and that spring time is just muse for me. I also lie doing some sports activities with friends like football and so on. But also I like to do wall pilates at home https://betterme.world/articles/wall-pilates/ to make me more flexible and increase my body strength. Try it guys!

• amma

May 3, 2023 at 7:55 am

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2011 on top of Multiple  Sclerosis since  1992.  The physical limitations of both disease on top of the fact that heat and sun render him almost immovable. I love being outside when the snows gone and working in the yard but feel guilty leaving him stuck inside alone.  Especially as his Parkinson’s progresses. I can barely get him to get out of the chair and do anything some days. He can’t really exercise but he’s depressed and angry often. Suggestions??? Any help is welcomed.

• mary-beth-skylis

May 3, 2023 at 9:23 am

Cathy, that sounds really hard and stressful. Have you considered hiring outside help? My dad has been thinking about getting a nurse to come by  once a month to help with some of his medical difficulties.

It just seems such a shame that you’d have to give up your time outside.

• bugsym55yahoo-com

May 3, 2023 at 1:17 pm

I am outside quite a bit. I play pickle ball and still run. I try to do something outside every day.  My symptoms are mild most days.

• troy

May 4, 2023 at 2:52 pm

I think I’m late to this party, but yes, I spend as much time outside as possible. It makes me happy. A native of southern California, I’ve had to limit my time outdoors now that I’m in Phoenix (18 years). I just can’t get the California out of me, though, so I do whatever I can to be outside. Recent article on the benefits of green spaces and water for people with PD has me second guessing Phoenix as my place of residence. We might join one of my daughters in Florida when we retire. Dry + hot + scorpions vs. humid + hot + bugs = hmmm? Disney World might be the deciding factor 🙂

• dawn

May 5, 2023 at 5:17 pm

no. unfortunately I am not able to go outside by myself since i am basically wheelchair bound and depressed. I loved being outside before I became so dependent on others to get me out of the house

• annamaria-b

May 14, 2023 at 1:58 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>all year round, my husband and I make a point to walk for one hour in our neighboorhood no matter how busy we might be. It is good both for arithmia that it has basically disapperead and of course for my PD. I bring along my elastic band for some arm exercises while walking, we also do three intervals of 2 minutes each of brisk walking or I run for one minute at my maximum speed whenever I feel like. I feel that sunshine is very beneficial too. During weekends we go out for longer walks (10 to 15 km and ad my husbands acknowledges it is not because of me that we stop) and I feel all  of the benefits of sunshine on the following days. But best of all is walking in water  bare feet non stop along the shore of the beach for one hour. While walking we also do some calculus computations ( no paper used of course) and some words game to keep the mind in exercise as well.</p>