• What gifts might be best for a Parkinsons patient?

Posted by Mary Beth Skylis on December 9, 2020 at 11:01 am

I’ve been brainstorming what to get my Dad for Christmas. One of the things that I’ve been thinking about getting him is an Amazon Echo Dot. This little smart speaker can be linked up with compatible appliances and smart lightbulbs in order to give you a hands-free experience. All my Dad will have to do to operate this speaker is talk to it. As his tremors get worse, I’ve been thinking about creative ways to support him this season. But I wonder if there are other devices that could help him manage his symptoms. What gifts might be particularly useful for someone who is dealing with Parkinsons?

Rene Evans replied 3 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Rene Evans

December 10, 2020 at 2:50 pm

My 76 year old husband is in stage 4 Parkinson’s, has dementia related to the Parkinson’s and is clinically blind.  We have both google and alexa.  They both work great – and each one has their area of expertise.  He is still cable of asking alexa questions and we play games, etc.  For example – the question of the day, feel the pressure (ten questions – each one gets a little harder (generally multiple choice so it helps recall), jeopardy (six questions each day), and many more.  He particularly likes the music (Alexa is $4.95 a month for the music package and well worth the money.  There hasn’t been a song yet – she hasn’t known.)  He will listen to classical and sing along with the old late 50’s and 60’s music that he grew up with.  I highly recommend them.  Originally, I liked google best, but I think I like alexa better now that we are use to using it.  It will do a lot more things – that we don’t use (or know about).