• Do or did any of your family members have Parkinsons?

Posted by mary-beth-skylis on October 26, 2020 at 8:22 am

There’s still a lot of debate about whether or not there is a genetic component that relates to Parkinson’s disease. My Dad (diagnosed in 2013) thinks that his brother may have PD, too. But the rest of our family history (as far as we know) seems free of the disease. This makes me think that the diagnosis could be environmental for both of them. Do or did any of your family members have Parkinsons? Do you think there could be a genetic component?

regina replied 3 years ago 10 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • john-lefcourte

February 27, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Yes, my Father did and my Male 1st Cousin had early onset.

• john-h

March 2, 2021 at 2:18 pm

My mother and her father had Parkinson’s. I have many of the same symptoms as of my mother.

No hand  tremors, walking, gait , freezing, swallowing, hand writing, energy level and a

sharp mind.

• daniel-best

March 2, 2021 at 3:22 pm

My dad had PD onset at 62, me at 59.  It makes me think of him all the time, and how little he complained.

• charles-schiller

March 2, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Yup. My maternal grandfather. The role of genetics in PD is, think, uncertain among the scientific but I’m certain there must be a connection.

• jim-browne

March 2, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Yes, I have a single L444P GBA mutation that gave me a 17% of getting Parkinson’s. Carriers in family have been traced  back 200 years. I was part of the Sanofi clinical trial that was billed as the first trial to use genetics to target a real cure of PD. The trial recently ended in failure with the study drug shown to be ineffective. We have a ways to go with this approach. It is interesting that 83% of the people with this mutation don’t get PD.

• jeffery-hill

March 3, 2021 at 10:22 am

My father developed PD symptoms at the age of 57, and I did at 56.  His first cousin also had PD.  I was tested for known genetic markers but the results apparently were negative.

• phil-gattis

March 5, 2021 at 7:12 am

My mother had Parkinson’s.

• garrett-mcauliffe

March 5, 2021 at 8:38 am

I had Parkinson’s at the same age as my father with similar symptoms. As he was, I was diagnosed at 62 years old. And my grandmother his mother also seems to have had Parkinson’s. I’m sure that there’s a genetic link. It’s complicated but I don’t think it’s debated anymore.

• garrett-mcauliffe

March 5, 2021 at 8:38 am

I thought I had Parkinson’s at the same age as I was diagnosed 62 years old. And my grandmother his mother also seems to have had Parkinson’s. I’m sure that there’s a genetic link. It’s complicated but I don’t think it’s debated anymore.

• regina

March 9, 2021 at 6:36 pm

No one in the family had PD.  Both my mother and I have ET.  My doctor told me that patients with ET have about a 5-6%

Increased chance of developing PD.

Also, there is a propensity for those of Irish descent to have ET (eg, Katherine Hepburn).