Tagged: ,

• gail-dons

July 22, 2020 at 12:17 pm

My feet swell every day, more in warm weather than in cold. It is because I have lousy blood flow in my legs – part of which are the doggone varicose vein’s my kids gave me when I carried them!
    Swelling in the legs can come from many things: lousy circulation like mine, thyroid conditionS, certain heart conditions, etc. If this is a new thing, you should talk to your father’s primary care doctor just to make sure there’s nothing that they need to evaluate or treat.

• mary-beth-skylis

July 23, 2020 at 10:22 am

Gail, thank you for your thoughts. My Dad seems to think he has lousy blood flow too. Everything seems sorted out now. He made an adjustment to his salt intake, which seemed to help alot. But I find your thought about thyroid conditions interesting. I, myself, have hypothyroidism. And it’s been known to run on my Dad’s side. You might be onto something.

• gail-dons

July 24, 2020 at 10:41 am

…and it is hypothyroid people who are more likely to have swelling than those with an overactive thyroid.

• joyce2

July 30, 2020 at 9:52 am

Sorry it took me so long to get this going but there is a real connection to the salt and staying hydrated. The salt is why she is swollen. Keep feet elevated when possible and the doctor can prescribe compression socks but they are about 30.00 a pair,difficult to  put on an I usually poke me thumb threw them.  I have not tried them yet but  go to www,CollecctionsEtc.com. and look up diabetic crew socks 2-pairs for 9.99.They are loose, short socks and may help.  Real comprehension socks come up to the knee and come in different pressures. Also try Tommy Copper. HSN and /or QVC also sells some. Look on You Tube for a video on how to put the long ones on.

Joyce

• mary-beth-skylis

July 30, 2020 at 10:58 am

Thank you for those tips, Joyce. I’ve used a pair of compression socks, myself. It does seem to make a difference. Do you find that under-doing your salt intake has strange effects, too?