If you’re struggling with Parkinson’s disease or know someone who is, it’s incredibly helpful to have a list of organizations that can support you or your loved one along the way. The following is not an exhaustive list, but hopefully it will prove to be a helpful resource.
1. The Parkinson’s Foundation provides information including news about the disease, information about upcoming events, insight into the latest research, and education about what to expect.
2. American Parkinson’s Disease Association provides support, education, and research to help patients and caregivers live a fuller life.
3. Michael J. Fox Foundation is helping to raise money for much-needed research to help find a cure. From ways you can get involved to a great blog chock-full of Parkinson’s-related information, the foundation is a wonderful resource.
4. European Parkinson’s Disease Association advocates for the rights and needs of patients and their families.
5. The Davis Phinney Foundation is committed to supporting research programs that help deliver inspiration, information and tools that will enable people living with Parkinson’s to have more control in managing their disease.
6. The Parkinson Alliance is the umbrella organization for the Parkinson’s Unity Walk which takes place every spring in New York City. They also sponsor Team Parkinson, a fundraising racing event. You can find current news and information about research projects on their site.
7. Partners in Parkinson’s has a program that connects patients and caregivers to an advocate who will listen and offer advice and support at no cost. This is just one of the services you can find through Partners in Parkinson’s.
8. Caring.com has a support group for caregivers, family and friends of those with Parkinson’s disease. No subject is off-limits in this forum.
9. The Parkinson’s Foundation also has a site specifically geared towards caregivers. They help carers navigate the emotional, financial, and physical challenges they may face caring for someone with Parkinson’s.
Having resources that help keep you informed, and offer support and encouragement to patients and their loved ones is so important. These are just 10 of the hundreds of organizations out there that are available to you. You can search online or visit your local library for more.
Parkinson’s News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?