5 Stages of Parkinson’s Disease

If you’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease then your doctor will use a rating scale to establish the stage of your disease and to track the progression. The rating scale will assess motor symptoms such as movement and tremors, as well as non-motor symptoms such as loss of smell.

There are five different stages of Parkinson’s disease, starting with mildest and leading up the most severe. There are commonalities in each stage, but the severity of symptoms will differ.

MORE: How to manage ‘freezing’ in Parkinson’s disease

Stage 1
Mild symptoms such as tremors along one side of the body may be presented at this stage. Often the symptoms are mild enough not to interfere with daily life, but slight changes in walking, posture, or facial expressions may be noticed by those around them.

Stage 2
Both sides of the body may be affected by slightly worsened tremors or rigidity. Issues with posture and walking may become quite noticeable and everyday activities may be harder to achieve but patients will still be able to do things for themselves.

Want to learn more about the latest research in Parkinson’s Disease? Ask your questions in our research forum.

Stage 3
As motor symptoms become worse, patients may begin to experience loss of balance leading to falls and movement can become very slow. Although many patients can still live independently they may have difficulty in everyday activities such as eating or dressing.

MORE: How does Parkinson’s disease affect the brain?

Stage 4
In this later stage, symptoms are now extremely limiting. Many patients can still stand without assistance but movement is greatly impaired. Most will need help with everyday activities and will not be able to look after themselves.

Stage 5
This is the most advanced stage of the disease and most patients will experience difficulty in walking and standing, often requiring a wheelchair. Assistance will be needed in all areas of daily life as motor skills are seriously impaired. In addition, people with advanced Parkinson’s disease may also begin to suffer hallucinations.

MORE: How Parkinson’s disease affects your body.

Parkinson’s News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.

Wendy is a proven blogger and social media manager who has helped to build online communities for businesses and organizations. She currently heads the website’s social outreach online through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
×

• George Owen says:

I have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease by two neurologist yet the Veterans department denied my claim based on the opinion of a Nurse Practitioner who stats that I have Parkinsonism.

• Bonnie Roberts says:

It may have started that way, like my husband, also a 20 year vet, but if you have a wife or family member can write a statement for you, it may help. I’m surprised that they took an NP’s word over 2 doctors. Someone affiliated with VA can help you. Good luck. Was this NP with the VA?

• Shell says:

I’ve dealt with the VA before and as much as they try to deny claims based on “you can’t prove you got the illness whilst in service” , you should come back with “they can’t prove you didn’t” !!!!! This helped our family greatly !!!!

• James says:

Hi George. The denial of your claim is unfortunate and yet it’s simply procedural unless there is unequivocal evidence that it started during your service or was caused by your service. You should not take the denial of your claim as a no, but more as telling you to try again. By “try again” I mean you need to appeal it. The NP’s word is poppycock for any reason to challenge you to try again.

Regardless of how you feel about this remember that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. It will make you mad but if you kill them with kindness, are patient and persistent it will make it all the more difficult for them to deny you. 9 out of 10 veterans are angry, entitled and hate the VA for anything and everything. How would you feel if you worked in a position where almost every claim you evaluated involved some kind of hateful, rational proclamation of entitlement with expressions of anger and resentment. Would you want to award service connection just because they claim they’re entitled and F this and F that? Don’t be one of the 9. ALWAYS BE NICE IN ANY COMMUNICATIONS WITH ANYONE IN THE VA.

If you were in Vietnam, all you need is proof of exposure to Agent Orange. That’s not difficult since everyone was exposed in Vietnam. You don’t need a fancy lawyer to win. What you need to do is continue on with your medical treatment, get a copy of all your VA records, present a copy of all your Parkinson’s related treatment records, all your military medical records, all the places you were stationed and just keep on keeping on with your appeal. The thing to remember is that the first denial is a test to see if you’ll give up. They want you to give up. The VA isn’t some easy system where things are just handed to you. You have to fight for it every step of the way. Keep appealing. If you have the evidence, you have all the references and you keep on keeping on they will either give you service connection or they will look stupid for not giving it to you.

Any medical condition is subject to presumptive of service if it started while you were in the service and didn’t exist before your service “presumptive of soundness”.

Parkinson’s disease is presumptive if you were exposed to agent orange regardless of if it started while you were in service or not.

If you were exposed to agent orange you can claim presumptive of service based upon

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 4, Section N – Neurological Conditions and Convulsive Disorders

Follow the following link to the Department of Veterans Affairs website which discusses specifics of Parkinson’s and service connection.

• D K Thompson says:

My husband has Parkinson’s. And we found out that the Doctors at VA are last inform about Parkinson’s. We instead go to a Parkinson’s clinic for his care. We also learn to talk to everyone about Parkinson’s and what they went though. So old medical stuff leads to new ideas in the medical field. We are hopeful.
          He also is in a exercise program to help his brain retrain hi find motor skills. It’s slow but I can see where that helps too.

• Kathy Ross says:

We helped my dad through the va claim process. The biggest helped we had was the local brew. They walked us through the proper steps and paperwork. Give your loca BFF a call and ask for help.

• Belinda cipri says:

Hi my name is Belinda I think reading my dad is at stage 5 Parkinsons could you tell me what the va claim is if you could put me in the right direction that would be very helpful thankyou

• Tony DeSantis says:

Hi George , Tony D here , USMC Veteran I have been down the same road, I was exposed to toxic chemicals in the water at Camp Lejeune NC. for more then 10 yrs, I told the VA that my balance was getting worse and worse, They Denied my claim, Then I went to a private neurologist a good one he said Parkinson I then took that information and did an FDC ( fully developed claim ) all on line with an FDC the VA has to give you an answer within 30 days. Around 26 days I got a large letter for the VA they gave me a 100% rating and a 265% medical rating. DON’t GIVE UP. If you need more information on how to do this with the VA e-mail me I’ll give you my phone number. Veterans stand together we have each others back.

• Paul Connolly says:

Awesome! I’m so glad your getting the help you need from the government Or your local VA. Thank you for your service brother!

• JeanneL says:

A few years ago my husband (a Vietnam era Marine)had some symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease but did not have a firm diagnosis yet. By accident I learned about the water contamination problem at Camp Lejeune, where he spent time. We filed a claim with the VA but because we didn’t have a diagnosis they denied the claim. However, once we had the diagnosis from a neurologist they approved the claim and he is 100% service connected now. They made his compensation retroactive to the original file date in 2017. So don’t give up on the VA. They have rules and procedures to follow which often make sense. Patience and persistence is key. They have treated us fairly and the staff have been very supportive. We live in Maine and their VA rating is 5. We have lived in other states and find Maine to be very responsive and caring.

• CINDY MORRIS says:

The Doctor gave my husband a 30% rating for both legs that can barely move, and 40% for hands that have tremors. If it were for the psychiatrist that gave him 100% for dementia, depression, we wouldn’t have anything. Make an appointment with someone else at the VA. You have the right to appeal her ruling.

• Danny Draper says:

George I have Parkinson’s and diabetes presumptively related to Agent Orange exposure during my 24 months in Vietnam. A major help in my case was the Disabled American Veterans. They knows all the ends and outs of navigating the VA system and were an important factor in getting my claim approved. I can not say enough about the great services the DAV offers. I highly recommend them.

• Dr. C says:

If it is any help – from what I have read, these stage can have a wide range of time spans. For some the disease progresses very slowly, over decades, and for others very quickly, over 5 years. There are some researchers (and writers like myself) who are suggesting that there are very early signs, small changes like a foot drag issue, that may occur early on in stage one. The research suggests that the sooner that treatment occurs the better the outcome – thus my continued focus on early symptoms.

• Melissa says:

My mother in-law went thru the stages fast or seems to me she has she was diagnosed 4 years ago she is in 5 stage now , she never had the hand trembling

• Caryn Barker says:

My husband was diagnosed almost 20 years ago, in last stage with serious mental impairment but only had tremor early on, possibly not an issue due to medication? His symptoms were very mild for 10-12 years. Horrific psychotic episodes the last 3 years.

1. Well…now I know a little more! Will discuss these stages with my neurologist, whom I’ll be seeing soon. One of my drivers said he had a friend who went through a very painful time near the end. I’ve had either or both legs cramp up all over the place in times past…now I’m careful how I lay down to avoid this! ALTHOUGH…like everything else, nearly, I have written poems about my disease progression! see the website, below, and SEARCH for Parkinson’s…My poems are all titled IN CAPS! 🙂

• Ellen says:

My mom uses Hyland’s leg cramp dissolving pills. The leg cramps were horrible until someone told her about the Hyland’s. She takes 2-3 pills and in about five minutes the cramp resolves. My husband and son use it also if a leg cramp comes on. Hope the info helps:)

2. My mother has had Parkinson’s for over thirty years. She began showing or noticing signs in her late twenties/early thirties and is in her late sixties. Until the last 4-5 years she was able to walk now she is completely immobile bit able to scoot her feet less than a foot to her bedside toilet. She still takes cooks for my dad and does her ad’s except bathe and I assist with that. She is also still lives with my dad no one other than myself has to come in to help her through out the day, she is very independent.

3. Cathy says:

Thanks for all of this info. I am a 74 year old female, who in the past few months have been experiencing tremors in both hands and right foot. My balance is off a bit and my memory is affected. Went to a neurologist who ordered several (21) blood tests, and an MRI of my brain.. Except for showing some hardening of the arteries, the MRI was alright . The blood work showed my Iron was low. He decided that my symptoms are age related. I am very independent and take total care of myself. I am not content wit this diagnosis. What should I do now. Something is wrong. I know how I should be feeling. Any suggestions out there?Thanks

• Kendra says:

Contact 2nd.md they are the best at giving 2nd opinions from the best doctors all over the world! 2nd.md literally saved my life! You won’t be disappointed

• Julie says:

Seek a neurologist that specializes in movement disorders. Yes, there are different types of neurologists and you should seek out one that focus on movement disorders

• Karoline says:

Contact a neurologist who is a movement specialist. Look at doctors’s bio and find one who specializes in Parkinsons. I went to 2 neurologists who had no idea what I had. The neurologist who specialized in movement disorders knew immediately. Also, you can get a DAT scan to see the level of dopamine in your brain which will confirm diagnosis.

• Linda Jones says:

They did s very simple test on my husband after I pushed for it & didn’t take “ no he doesn’t have Parkinson’s “ they bomb the brain cells while doing a mri with dopamine. If brain absorbed the dopamine over a small window of time you don’t have it. If it can’t absorbe it good chance you have it. The dopamine shows up on mri if nothing shows good chance u don’t have it.
      Well after fighting doctors this one test showed he has it. Seems I knew what he had long before Drs did. Now I had Aunt, Granny & mother all with it. I grew up around it- I was right but hate it for my hubby but better to know thantbe unknown.

4. Brent Berson says:

My mother has Parkinsons and while she doesn’t have the tremors associated with the disease,she does have the peripheral neuropathy in her extremities,especially her legs and feet.
    Her Dr. has tried several drugs that are normally used as the 1st drugs used to treat the problems including Gabapentin and similar anti-sezure and anti-depressants.
    She turnsd 90 this month and I feel that there’s very little harm in trying opioid narcotics to try and see if they lessen her pain.
    I know that Dr’s are,as a group, steering away from prescribing narcotics.
    Hoiwever,with my mom turning 90,what could be the harm? Let’s say they help and she starts taking them on a daily basis to treat her pain.
    What are the possible downsides to using opiods,especially for someone in her condition and at her age. The worst thing is she becomes ‘physically dependant’ on them.So what? Dr’sd used to hand out opiods like they were the the answer to everything. Now,it’s the last thing they prescribe due to all the negative cono-tations associated with their use.
    IOt can’t hurt and may be a big help.

• Susan Allen says:

Be careful with pain killers as they cause numerous other side effects especially with older people. My 92 year old Father has Parkinsons and now he has stage 4 bone cancer. Pain pills cause horrible constipation and also emphasize more falling especially with Parkinsons so please think this through!

• Nancy says:

Brent & Susan – Consider also giving a Senecot (OTC) each time your loved one needs a pain pill, and/or a daily stool softener like Colace(OTC). Preventing constipation is MUCH EASIER and MUCH LESS PAINFUL/Dangerous than treating it once it gets a hold on the gut.
        Susan you are absolutely correct about opioid/narcotic pain meds increasing FALL RISK. Falls are often fatal within a year in 90+ yo’s, so anything that increases fall risk and/or sedation/confusion must be weighed very carefully against the real need for pain relief/comfort.

• Donna says:

How old was your mom when diagnosed? My Husband is 73 years old and has had a diagnosis for eight years. He is in stage five.

• Pat says:

It can hurt. Constipation is a HUGE problem with elderly, especially if they haven’t taken opioids before. Bowel can get blocked & eventually explode inside & can bleed internally.

• Francis L says:

I’m a vet with Parkinson’s I kept hitting a brick wall until I used the DAV.. cannot say enough about them they were professional and conscientious and I believe that my case wound up on a persons’s desk who actually cared. it was the luck of the draw. Keep trying. Goodluck

5. Susan Cugno says:

Is there help from Parkinson’s for my husband who has end stage Lewy Body Dementia. I’m his caregiver and he was on Hospice but taken off because he was eating better.He can’t stand or walk I’m having trouble getting any help. His insurance has tried to get aids in but having trouble because of the area lm in. I’m having trouble now with my arm and shoulder from turning him in bed. He is need to be changed and I use a hoyer lift. I want to keep him home. I tried to hire my own aides put that didn’t work and the service is to expensive. I’m 65 and I retired at 62 so im on a limited income. I do have savings. So I do t qualify for Medicaid. I have pay or most of his supplies.

• Bonnie Roberts says:

• Bonnie Roberts says:

Check to see if you qualify for Medicaid and call your insurance company every day and ask about an aid. Washable pads may work for you. Use a sheet tripled under your husband to help you roll him side to side and on his back. Use a small pillow under him when he is on his side. Your family doctor maybe able to help. Good luck honey, I’m in the same boat.

• Kelly says:

Hello Susan, here are a couple of foundations and other websites that may be able to help.

Panfoundation.org

Gooddaysfromcdf.org

Healthwellfoundation.org

Healthcaredetective.us

Good luck.
      I know how difficult it can be to find help, especially when you’re starting to need a little assistance yourself.

• Caryn Barker says:

Situation you described is like mine only I’m 70, husband 77. No financial aid available. My husband served in the army, but not during war time = no help. Pension and Social Security too much to qualify for assistance but not enough to pay for services needed to care for him. Injured my back and shoulder to the point I could barely function myself. Better off if you never contributed/worked only then will you get aid.

• Carolyn says:

Aid for you might depend on what State you live in. If moving would be an option, I suggest you look into State medical aid. Start perhaps with Washington, Oregon, then look to New Jersey, and New England States. Idaho.

6. I need to know what stage I am at and if I am at the last stage. I have had P. since 2016, but it has never been treated. I have mild cognitive impairment, fatigue, and balance problems. I am now seeking help and I am scared. My brother has a friend who has been in treatment since before 2016. Maybe my situation has progressed farther than his. I can not get out of bed and I cannot get to the bathroom. Carbodopa/levodopa pills have restored my ability to walk and locomote. I do not have seizures yet. I let the carbo pills take precedence, and I simply manage that way. Everybody thinks I am crazy. I lack universal cognition and cannot do things that used to take seconds to accomplish. I am 71 years old. I was upended when I discovered that the doctor had given me up for roadkill and was merely waiting for my demise.

7. Vivian a branson says:

At now eighty six, I was diagnosed some three years ago, and all was fine untill the lack of sleep caused by the levodopa, etc, and really bad restless legs, has put me in a pretty poor shape, in that these last couple of months have been hard to deal with, ie, I can only just maintain my equilibrium, though my mind seems to be in a sort of vague mist, I find that I can no longer talk properly, lack of appetite , anabilaty to function in any way in a normal fashion, I’m assuming that I am entering the fourth or even fifth stage, does any one know if one can stay reasonably mentally fit for very long, or is it time to pull the plug,as it were ?
    I still enjoy music so perhaps that is all I can reasonably expect, my hearing is not too bad yet !, I think that I should not be driving , though I’ve had no trouble in area yet.
    All the best to anybody with this bloody awfull disease.

8. Mary says:

My sister has Parkinson’s she was diagnosed 2 years ago ,I think she had it longer
    Some day she ok .Most day she can’t hold her upper body up and she talks crazy stuff
    Although her memory is very good.

The doctor will not said what stage she is in,I try talking to her about thinks I need to know
    When she needs 24 hour care.I am 60 and I have back and neck issues myself lifting her
    Is impossible for me,I help with her shower,dressing and cooking,housework.

9. Jane Hunter says:

My dear dad had this horrid disease for 14 years. He died on the 17.03.2019. Stage 5 progressed so quickly. Couldn’t eat or even drink in the last week. He also had the Lewys dementia along with vascular dementia. The nursing home we had only just put him in 2 weeks before he passed, tell us he choked on saliva in his sleep..how is this possible?
    I’d like to think it was in sleep, but I can’t get my head around choking and not waking up… RIP you beautiful soul, the pain is still so raw..love you dad.

• Suzanne says:

My father is in his last stages now. He got a feeding tube put in after his ER visit in January. He could no longer eat or drink by mouth. He’s also receiving supplemental oxygen. He’s had pneumonia several times and when the phlegm is in his throat he would cough and seem to be choking. He had one bad incident when they rushed him to the ER and intubated him because he was in respiratory distress. That is something I wish he had never gone through. I don’t want to sound insensitive but the end stages are so horrible. My Dad’s mind is all there but he’s basically trapped in his body, can’t even stand, legs frozen, can’t eat, can hardly talk. 95 % of the time we can’t understand him. A huge painful bed sore too. He just lies in bed and cries. He’s survived a UTI sepsis and pneumonia 3x since January. I wish he would die in his sleep. It’s agony for him and us seeing him suffer like this. Your father I’m sure did not suffer very long. He was so weak and maybe he just stopped breathing. I don’t think he choked on his saliva. My father doesn’t even make saliva anymore I could go on and on. You have to mourn but just accept that he is at peace now and doesn’t have to suffer this horrible disease anymore.

• Gavin Axten says:

My father has just come out of hospital after 5 months, in that time he has caught Pneumonia 5 times. Although he cam home from hospital last week he caught Pneumonia again and was taken back to hospital. He is back home again after recovering but the doctors have said he will keep getting Pneumonia until he won’t recover and we have now decided when he gets it again he can have treatment at home but suspect he will not recover but at least he is out of the hospital. Mentally he is as bright as a button, such a shame

10. My dad is getting numb arms is this a part of Parkinsons disease. He has been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease but any tablet they put him on makes him dizzy which he doesn’t need as the Parkinsons disease has made his walk bad he uses a walking frame to get around. He’s also in constant pain. Can someone advise me of things to help in anyway as I have just become his carer as mum is easily stages of dementia so I’m here for them both.He is close to stage 5 Thank you in advance

11. Debbie Merck says:

Vivian Branson, You do not seem like forth or fifth stage to me at all. Your writing abilities are still very good and you are still driving. The driving may not be very safe in a crisis but the fact that you still can says a lot. I agree that you should stop driving so you don’t hurt someone accidentally, though. My mother in law is 86 and was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 12 years ago and it was very slow progressing at first. Hand tremors were her first symptom. She is now experiencing some dementia and hallucinations with it as well but can still walk with a walker. She is having some incontinence problems now. Some days she she seems very with it cognitively and then others she is very confused. She gets dehydrated easily and we can’t get her to drink enough water which means she can get UTI’s a lot. Drink, drink, drink your water! Since your mind is still solid you can choose this for yourself. When my mother in law is very tired we notice some garbled speech but then it clears up when she is rested. She is now getting physical and occupational therapy at her assisted living and I have noticed a huge difference in her posture and strength. Please seek out these services as exercise is a huge way to hang on to abilities! There are some you can do in a chair or sitting on the side of the bed that can help with balance. Start slow each day and build up. My MIL could barely do any when she started. She had been living with her ex for the past 4 years and spent most days asleep on the couch. The exercises and therapy have been fantastic. Speech therapy helps as well. If you can’t get insurance coverage on these look up the exercises on line and do them on your own. You seem very computer literate. I think your Dr. should be able to help you with the restless legs and sleep problems. My own father has struggled terribly with restless leg syndrome and insomnia but finally has a routine that works for him. He went through a dozen combinations of drugs before he found the right ones. (he does not have parkinsons though) He has to take his restless legs meds then do 30 min walking on a tread mill before bed each night to wear his legs out, then take the insomnia meds to knock him out. I urge you to keep tweaking these meds until you find the right solution for you. Be relentless about bugging your dr and say this isn’t working what else do you have? You have to sleep! Don’t give up! This will make a huge difference in how you feel. The brain has to reboot at night and if you don’t sleep enough it can’t do this. I am so sorry you are dealing with this but I think enjoying music is a great idea. My mother in law with parkinson’s disease still enjoys church services, visiting with family, tv, music, going out to lunch or dinner, making crafts at the assisted living, looking through old picture albums, playing bingo or other games. She used to be an avid reader but now her attention span for reading seems to be gone and she is not retaining what she reads. I think this disease progresses so differently in different people so try not to focus on what you can’t do but what you still can do. How is your sense of smell? there is a supplement out there called C60 (carbon 60) that is an antioxidant that is helping some with various age related diseases. There are not a lot of studies on humans yet just mice. It is not toxic to humans though so you can’t hurt yourself by trying it. Below is a link to a video about it. I am not a Dr. just another person whose life has been affected by all these terrible diseases. MIL with Parkinson’s and dementia, My mom has end stage lewy body dementia, and my dad has restless leg syndrome, insomnia, spinal stenosis with nerve pain in his back.

12. Donna Little says:

Hi my name is Donna and my father has Parkinsons, diagnosed two years ago. However, I see my dad mostly in the later stages and finding it very difficult to understand how to deal with his daily care and provide him all his needs since he does absolutely nothing on his own, with the exception of hold his water bottle. We’ve had a PT, OT, and RN now ongoing NP and he just does not want to do anything. I feel my father has given up on life and prior to us fully caring for him he’d fell into a deep depression and just does not want to do anything. We are still doing all what we can do for him and try to keep him smiling but, it’s emotionally hard on me especially as I’m mostly providing 95% of the care he needs starting as early as 4:30 a.m. and my return from work. I just feel a bit overwhelmed and need some support from you all who have dealt and still dealing with a loved one with Parkinsons.

• Susie says:

Donna, it sounds like you and I are living similar lives. My mom is in the late stages of the disease. I’m also doing about 95% of the care and feeling overwhelmed. I live half the week with my parents and it is taking a financial and emotional toll. My parents have always been difficult but now it seems their worst qualities have magnified and I don’t know how to manage any of this.

• Stephanie Thomas-Aca-ac says:

Donna, there are support groups available in upir local area. This disease is horrible to day the least. My father was diagnosed 10+ years ago and the progression is slow. He thinks he’s still standing straight, moving fast, and super sexy! I let him believe that because it gives him something he needs. But I need time off from caring for him because its exhausting. If you can. hire someone to take care of him for day trips away and spend time on you. Its not selfish. You must take care of you to be able to care for them.

• Lisa Morledge says:

I am there as well with my dad. Although I believe he’s in possibly stage 3 .. the medicine seems to not be working as well and he seems to progressing a bit more rapidly. Horrific disease 😪😪

13. Anil K Arora says:

My brother is having Parkinson for the last 4 to 5 years and I think it is 5 stage. He is dependent on family members for day today activities. Even. He can not walk by his own. He is unable to chew food. Mostly liquid diet is given. Speaking becomes difficult. Sometime it is difficult to understand what he speaks.

14. Anne says:

My dad has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s about 7 years ago. I haven’t seen him in a while since I live abroad. The last time I saw him, I realized how much the disease had progressed. I’m sure he’s in stage 3. Due to financial issues, as well as the disease, he is in a deep depression. He used to relish in activities such as fishing and playing golf or gardening. But he finds it hard to do these things now. I want my Dad to be happy again or to find some activity that will give him purpose. I’m sure this would be good for his health too. If anybody can relate, what has worked for you or your loved one?

• Another Donna says:

Dr. Mercola has an article which you guys should read, “New CBD Trend Is Like a Full-Body Molecular Massage”. This doctor sells supplements and vitamins, and never talks about something he can’t make $ off of, but he praises CBD oil, a couple drops under the tongue, and it works for Parkinson’s.
      My husband has P. (3 years) – but he is unaware, he just thinks he is getting old (75) I think it is helpful that he doesn’t acknowledge it, as I am sure he would be depressed and give up. He pushes himself to go for walks, everyday he goes for a 45 minute walk.
      Since he started the CBD oil – I see a big difference, yesterday he went for 6 miles hiking. I also think the exercise helps delay the progression.
      A doctor did say to him “has a doctor ever mentioned you may have Parkinson’s?” He laughed, but I started looking into it. And he has all the symptoms, loss of balance being 1st, flat foot, slow walking, soft, slurred speech… He hasn’t had a tremor since he started CBD and the flat footedness is gone, seems balance & everything else is better too. He’s only been on it for a week. 2 drops under the tongue before he goes to bed, and it is tasteless. I told my husband it’s for his balance.
      Read Dr. Mercola’s article and good luck to you all !

15. 18 years in says:

Have you all considered DNR – do not recusitate – forms? My husband and I both ahve them. Our society extends life well beyond what it naturally would be. We are alll going to die sometime. Perhaps we should learn to relealse and prepare for a good end rather than cling to a mostly miserable existence.

16. Lee O'Brien says:

I look after my dad. He is stage 5 Parkinson’s disease.
    He ha care 4 times a day to hoist him and change him, to give meals and wash him. But I still get called by him well over 30 times a day. I live in the next street, and I also look after my two beautiful grandsons. The eldest has Aspergers. I find most days I am on my knees. I have to do all his laundry, shopping, pay bills, get prescriptions, close a window, then open it, turn fan On, go back to turn it an inch the other way. The list goes on. I have COPD, and am waiting for spinal surgery. I am on oramorph and MST plus so many other tablets.
    I am at my wits end really I am.
    God bless all of you living with it as a patient and as a patient carer xxx